Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dd is suffering from what i think are allergies, and she is constantly sniffling her nose. It sounds so loose, but every time we try to blow, she sucks IN!!<br><br>
I'm sure there are some great ideas out there for teaching this skill. . .<br><br>
thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
I can't remember at what age my ds (now 4) learned this skill, but it helped to tell him to "blow out a candle with his nose." Not the nicest mental image, but perhaps it will help! Hope she's feeling better soon.

·
Registered
19,139 Posts
We just did this! Okay... started with "blow!" and she knew how from birthday candles... so use that image. Heck use candles if it will help. Once she had "blow" down I would say blow and then after she did once I said "Okay, now blow again but close your mouth. " I have to remind her to close her mouth sometimes, but sometimes the presence of the tissue (and the discussion about needing to blow her nose) is cue enough. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Something a little safer and easier than candles is to hold a tissue up and let her blow on it with her mouth and watch it wave like a flag, and then teach her how to close her mouth and do the same thing by blowing through her nose. Once she can do this well, it's not much of a stretch to blowing INTO the tissue!<br><br>
I also taught my dd to blow one side at a time by holding the opposite nostril shut.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts