Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for advice for what to try to make toothbrushing more fun and effective for my 17 month old. Any ideas?

What worked best for you?
:

DD will tolerate having her teeth brushed for only a couple of seconds, here and there.
:

I just don't think I'm doing a good enough job like that, and now I've read a bunch of posts here that have scared me so much about cavities!!!!

Btw, we're still night-nursing. Is it pointless to worry about toothbrushing after dinner when she'll just nurse through the night?

·
Registered
882 Posts
Quote:
I'm looking for advice for what to try to make toothbrushing more fun and effective for my 17 month old. Any ideas?

What worked best for you?
:
We talk about getting the bugs off their teeth. And turn the bugs into trex's, airplanes, trains, vroom vrooms, etc. for my boy and unicorns, care bears, stars, etc. for my daughter. I'll say things like: "Ut oh, I see a train, I gotta get that train off!" And if they get antsy, "ohhhhh nooo!!! I see a dinosaur, I'm gonna get that dinosaur!!!!!"

Now that they are almost 4 and 6, I don't have to do it too much. When they were 2, it definitely was all about the game.

Quote:
Btw, we're still night-nursing. Is it pointless to worry about toothbrushing after dinner when she'll just nurse through the night?
No, it is not pointless! Brushing the food particles off will help prevent him from getting caries. Breast milk is generally considered not cariogenic, so night nursing is considered OK, as long as food particles are not left on the teeth.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I agree with the pp...the food is of concern, not the breastmilk.

As far as what worked here--I did try to make things a game (I like the pp's ideas!) I'm going to brush your knees! I'm going to get your belly...nose...laughing mouth is open mouth and I'm in. Giving them choices--do you want me to to brush your tops or bottoms first? That sort of thing.

A big suggestion above all is get an electric toothbrush...the fun kid ones are worth it. And if you only get a few swipes an electric brush has to be more effective for those swipes!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.
I'm relieved to hear that the night nursing isn't as much of a problem as I thought. Gotta get that food out though.

I'll try some more games, plus maybe pick up one of those electric toothbrushes...

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
My DS is 15 months old and he only wants to chew on the regular toothbrush, but will let me actually brush with the electric one. If it matters, it's a real electric toothbrush (Sonic Care, I think) not a child's one. That might be what he likes about it - getting to use the "adult" toothbrush. Also, before we switched to non-glycerine tooth cleansers, he seemed to like the flavored Burt's Bees paste.

But anyway, as for games... when I was little, Sesame Street was popular at our house. So my dad would play this game where he would pretend to be The Count and would brush each tooth saying things like, "One toothie-woothie, two toothie woothies, three toothie-woothies...." (in a very dramatic voice) and then he'd make thunder sound effects and flicker the lights in the bathroom
Okay so maybe I'm dating myself here... but as far as I can recall, this worked on me for years

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.