Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have gone a bit crazy and I have bought many dipes. My dd is in the process of outgrowing Mediums, so i still have M's and now new larges in rotation. I also have a bunch of pf's and flats. So... I was thinking about using them all so I would only have to wash (3 loads at a time) once a week. I would love to sit down once a week and wash, dry, fold and put away all of my fluff.

Do I need to do anything special to prevent build up/stink? Should I wetpail??? Add something to the dry pail like baking soda??? Should I use my pf's and flats 1st in the week.. as they may go a week better than the fitteds?

any advice???

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I would really really caution against doing that. It might be "easier" just doing it all at once and folding and putting away all at once and you might have, say 12 million diapers
but you risk stink issues and stain issues. When you leave diapers longer than about 2-3(3 is pushing it) days everything just sorta cakes in there(blech!) and sits and festers if you will. You will probably have to have majorly complicated wash routines involving LONG soaks and multiple rinses and such and it most likely won't be worth it. A lot of people say that because urine is so acidic that if you leave it sitting in your diapers for too long that it breaks the fibers down faster and they wear out faster. I think you just risk so much by leaving your diapers for so long. Maybe since you have such a huge stash you could wash every 2-3 days and keep them all in a laundry basket and do the folding and putting together once a week all at once. Or maybe you could wash and fold and put away but sorta recycle those diapers to the back of the drawer so that others can be used. I just know that I've forgotten a diaper or two in a wetbag in dh's truck or in my trunk under the stroller(which obviously doesn't get used much if a wetbag sits there untouched for a week under it!) and found it a week later and it was horrific trying to get the smell out. It involved a prolonged soak in vinegar and 3 washes with extra rinses and sunning in between before it smelled any better. I was so upset for this poor diaper! So in my experience, it's much easier to wash every 2-3 days. I have a moderately big stash right now(in the midst of downsizing fo ra LOT of reasons) and I could go 3 days between washes but I choose to wash every other day because going that third day really makes my life harder in the long run with my wash routine. Hope you find what works for you!

Meg

·
Registered
136 Posts
We have enough diapers that we can go 9 days. (dd pl'd and ds is on the cusp btw L & M and I've never thinned). So we wash every 3 days, throw everything in a basket and fold when we've gone through the entire stash. I think even with a wet pail you'd have to change the water before you could go 5 - 7 days.

When we go on vacation, we don't wash. We just bring the pail liners (bummis wet bags) and stuff the used dipes in those and then bring everything home and wash. I have to say that the dipes seem to smell less than when they're in the pail. But I don't think I'd subject my dipes to that on a regular basis.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
We only wash 1X per week, and we don't do anything special, dry pail lined with a trash bag......I have been in your boat, asking for advice, but the only "advice" I have ever gotten on the subject is "DON'T DO IT!"....LOL. Apparently, it is considered fairly uncivilized and boorish by the diapering world to only do dipes once a week!
Anyway, we don't care about stains, and yes, everything we own has stains.....however, we don't have any stink or absorbancy problems, nothing that actually affects the use of the diaper......I mean, the pail stinks while the dirty dipes sit in it...but after they are washed, the dipes come out fresh......Although I do concede that it is possible my diapers are breaking down and "wearing" faster because of my lax washing schedule....however, I won't really know for sure for a while, when they start falling apart!
**...speaking of laundry my lazy butt should head downstairs.....**

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
I used to only do them once a week when I was ECing Abi. However she was much smaller, her pee didn't stink like a toddler's does, and she did most of her bm's in the potty. Also, her diapers at the time were cotton prefolds, which don't hold onto odors like hemp, fleece, and PUL do.

I am currently sold on the washing machine as wet pail method, spin out water every day and add fresh water and a glug of vinegar. However if you were to do that method you would be spinning out 7 days worth of water. Doesn't make sense to use that much water and then wash them on the last day. It might not be good for diapers to be soaking fully in water for that long. It can't be good for them to be sitting in urine or bm's that long, either. Sorry.

·
Banned
122 Posts
I couldn't imagine doing it. I mean on wash day, which is every other day, the diapers STINK from urine (not poop because we spray that all off.) After 7 days I think I'd be flat on my butt from the stench.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Allrighty then!!! I like the idea of storing the clean dipes unfolded..... that's better than storing dirty dipes. I think I will get a laundry basket for clean dipes in the laundry room.....

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I dunno....

I wash every 4 days and sometimes it goes 5 if something is going on. I have been doing that for over 2 years and have not had any problems. I use a dry pail and I have a very simple wash routine (one cold rinse, then hot wash with regular detergent). We do have stains but some of dd's dipes have been in use constantly for 2+ years (MEOS and infant prefolds that I use as doublers). And most of my dipes have been through at least one other kid's entire diapering years (some of my MEOS are on their 6th kid......) so many of the stains were there long beofre they came into my house. My dipes seem to hold up very well and I have yet to have a stink, absorbancy, or elastic problem. The stink in the pail really does not seem much different from day 2 to day 5. As long as you watch out for mildew, I think you are OK. In the summer when it is really humid, I might go with shorter times to avoid the mildew....

·
Registered
346 Posts
I'm glad this thread got started, I've been wondering about this very thing. I have a baby due in December, and I've gotten a TON of diapers. I'm sure I'll have enough for 5-7 days w/o washing, but I'm thinking after reading this that I will go about 3-4 days between loads and just rotate the washed ones to the back of the drawer.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
I"ve had to do this a few times. We didn't have a washer/dryer, so I went to mym om's once a week and did laundry. I just kept them in a trash bag, sometimes on t he back porch. The smell is pretty horrific when you pull them out of the bag. I just put a little baking in the rinse and wash with arm and hammer detergent and they came out fine, smelling fresh and everything. So if you have a bad week every now and then and you just need to, then you can.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I've washed every 5-7 days for the last 4 months or so because DS goes to daycare 1/2 time, and doesn't pee very frequently the rest of the time, so it takes a while to build up a full load of diapers (I have an ENORMOUS front-loading machine). However, some words of caution:

- some fuzzibunz have ended up with stains - this never happened when I washed more frequently
- my stash is mostly flats and prefolds, which I don't care too much about wearing out quickly or staining (flats don't permanently stain as far as I can tell - none yet). I wouldn't leave AIOs or fitteds I care about that long, especially if they have lots of layers to grow things (ewwwww). I always save my 2 AIOs for just before wash day so they don't fester forever.
- getting diapers clean (unstinky) after a week festering requires an extra heavy-duty wash routine (very thorough rinsing of poops with mini-shower, extra hot sanitary cycle, oxyclean)

So, I'd say that every 2-3 days generally works better and a week is risky. Recently, I've started washing 2x/week, and just adding other light-colored laundry to the diaper wash so it's not too wasteful.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have been washing twice a week since I started CDing. I was rinsing poopy dipes and squirting on Bac-Out then throwing them in a wet pail. And putting the wet dipes in a wet bag. I changed the water in the wetpail about once a day. (I am trying a dry pail this week b/c I got tired of all of the dumping and refilling!) Then I run them all thru a cold wash with just vinegar- then a hot wash with a little deterg and a downy ball half full of vinegar. No stink- some stains from bfing poo.

I am going to pockets for daycare and plan to throw all the inserts in a dry pail until wash day (hopefully just once a week) and hand wash and hang the pockets every day or every other day- depending on my energy. We'll see how it goes!

I am in an apt. with a coin-op machine in the basement- and I am going back to working full time- so it isn't easy to run a load any old time- but can be done if need be.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Quote:
I am going to pockets for daycare and plan to throw all the inserts in a dry pail until wash day (hopefully just once a week) and hand wash and hang the pockets every day or every other day- depending on my energy. We'll see how it goes!
If you do this, I'd strongly suggest using folded up flats (birdseye) for pocket inserts, since they wash so thoroughly.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.