Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is almost 10 months old. We do cosleep but just recently upgraded from a queen sized bed to a king so that DP didn't have to sleep apart from us anymore. (DS sprawls out quite a bit in his sleep.) We just can't get him to settle down for bed! The whole bedtime process is taking about 4 hours these days!!!!
No matter what we've tried, what bedtime routine we work in, he purposely keeps waking himself up over and over again. He wants to play with DP, he wants to play with his blanket, or mommy, or anything in the world to keep him from shutting those eyes for the night. Tonight I was putting him to sleep finally by patting his back (he usually flips over, sits up and starts talking back to me, but he was so exhausted by this point he didn't have the energy!) and he was just humming over and over to try and keep himself awake.. he'd force his eyes open again and again until sleep won the battle. We usually nurse down when he finally stops fighting, but even that takes hours before he stops pulling off to play around. I don't know what to do - the tricks I picked up in the NCSS don't seem to be working this time around. It isn't healthy for anyone in the family to be going to bed this late, because we're an early household, and it definitely isn't good for DS to make himself overtired night after night. I just don't know what to do anymore to try and settle him in!!

·
Registered
456 Posts
I went through I period like tis with my ds. I had to change my bedtime routine. Instead of nursing him down in the bed as usual, I brought him out to play quietly in the living room, being sure to keep things calm and dimly lit. I would sit on the couch until he would come over to me and want to nurse, was getting cranky with a lot of eye rubs, or sat on the floor with a glazed expression on his face. Then I would pick him up and nurse him to sleep, then bring him to our bed and put him to sleep. Eventually he out grew this, went back to gong to sleep at 8-9 PM instead of 10-11 PM and nursed down to sleep in bed like he used to.

Anyway, I don't know if my story helped, but I hope this is just a phase your ds is going through and he will be sleeping easier soon.

Roxanne
Daniel 8/9/03

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Hello--
I'm in the same boat. DS is 10 months today and bedtime has become one big goof-off session. So I've been putting him in the sling and taking him for long walks to get him down, but that isn't a good enough solution for the long run. Yikes, this situation is sucking the life out of me. :LOL

At least once he's down he's down for the count. Thank god for small blessings.

But I need a plan on how to cope with this and make a reasonable bedtime routine.

·
Registered
674 Posts
This may sound weird, but my ds will rarely go to sleep in bed, especially if he is wound up. I wll lay with him on the couch, with him against the side of the couch and nurse him to sleep there. I wll make sure it is dark, and tell him it is bedtime, then once he is asleep move him to the bedroom. I think it works because he is kind of pinned in and can't look at much. Like I said, it sounds kind of weird, but it works for us

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm, I'm going to have to try the "get to sleep someplace else" method. Lat night he actually fell asleep at 8:30 in the bed and I was thrilled... until he woke up an hour later and was ready to play! I finally got him back to sleep at 11:30 by naking - but he had to play himself out again first!

·
Registered
41 Posts
We def. had this problem with our now 13 mos. old, but not as severe sounding as you. here is what worked for us (you may have already tried alot of this):

1. if she took a nap later than 3pm, i'd try to wake her after 30 mins (SOOO hard to do that sometimes though).

2. we learned to expect a 2-3 hour wind down time: daddy and I playing in her room with her after a bath could take forever. no effort to get her to sleep until we saw signs. She could come to me to lie down and nurse (she was walking/climbing by then. i sleep with her on a double mattress in her room) and get up again if she wanted. dad was mostly "on" while I lay there and sometimes i totally zoned out, shut my eyes, etc. (this has actually turned into a nice family time for us)

3. when she finally was showing all the signs (stumbling, eye rubbing, etc), but was keeping herself awake (gymnastic nursing, biting me! arrgggg etc), dad walked her in the sling downstairs, saying "it's time for bed now, time for sleeping". sometimes she would get really pissed & cry or complain or moan. sometimes just him picking her up and walking down the hall was enough for her to get the message. I'd take her right back and she would nurse to sleep. Sometimes it would take a while. Sometimes she would fall asleep with dad. Sometimes just get sleepy enough to nurse.

4. when it got (alas sometimes still gets) really bad, _I_ have to sit up and nurse and sing to her, or (ARRG) walk and nurse and sing to her. I know not every one can do the walk/nurse thing though. I think being immobilized really helps her to nod off when she is overstimulated.

i should say, we just stumbled on this based in part on "which parent is most frustrated right now". When i got frustrated i would hand her off. and sometimes, when walking her didn't work and dad got frustrated he'd bring her back.

none of this was foolproof - and we still have some harder nights - but we did move out of the impossible stage eventually. hang in there!!!!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Perhaps I'm just lazy but I got fed up with trying for hours and hours to get a tired baby to settle for sleep and losing most of my evening. Now when he is tired and its obvious he won't settle without a fight I pop him in a sling and get on with the washing up/take a walk/bounce gently on the birth ball while watching TV or using the computer. When he is sound asleep I decant him into bed - a mei tai or ergo is the easiest for extracting a sleeping baby from without waking them up and if he does wake it is then easy to quickly nurse him back to sleep.

Yvonne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts