Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I need some help regarding my dd and her napping schedule. Ever since she was born, she has been a terrible napper. Seriously, at 6 days old she would stay awake for 6-8 hours durring the day w/ o a nap. Now she is 5 months old (almost) and for the last few months (no, I'm not exaggerating) she only takes a 20 min. nap in the morning, and another one in the afternoon. I have tried different things, even holding her, but she still only naps about 20 min, twice a day. I really have just adjusted to the fact that my DD does not nap. Usually she is on a 10 hour sleep cycle (waking to eat 1-2 times), and then awake about 14 hours. At night she gets kinda cranky when it's her bathtime (she know the routine). If I"m even 15 minutes late, she knows it. As long as I do everything on time, she's fine. Am I creating a problem by not making her nap? Is it okay that she doesn't nap? How can I encourage her to nap, without creating a negative association w/ napping?<br><br>
Seriously, I usually just let her do whatever she wants, and I really think that if she's tired she will go to sleep. I have just kind of wondered if I'm doing something wrong considering friends' babies take 2 naps a day.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My dd did not take real naps until she was about 4 months old and I really worked at it. I personally need the nap times just so I can read or eat lunch or bake or whatever. I just need the me time. My dd naps about one hour in the morning and one in the afternoon.<br><br>
I read the No Cry Sleep Solution, which inspired me to get her on a regular nap routine. Before that I'd just let her fall asleep on me, in the sling or Baby Bjorn. This is what I do:<br><br>
I nurse her to sleep on the bed about 2 hours after she wakes up. If she wakes up (she normally doesn't now, but at first she did) I go in and nurse her back to sleep. Don't automatically assume that she's ready to get up just because she wakes up. The second nap I try to make sure it doesn't end any later than 4pm or she will be up late. I like her to be asleep by 8pm, though it doesn't always happen.<br><br>
Mine has never slept through the night or even close. According to NCSS napping is supposed to help, but I haven't experienced that. If your dd is thriving and happy, and sleeping well at night, and you don't mind her being awake all day, I don't really think it's a problem. I do think that's just some babies' temperment.<br><br>
Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about napping. It took me about two weeks to get her so that she would sleep through her naps.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Sounds like you're doing a great job with your dd. Mine never slept when he was a newborn either. I kept asking my mom, I thought babies were supposed to sleep alot when they were newborn. Anyway it just wasn't his thing but as long as he was on me (mainly nursing all day) he was content so I went with that. Then as he got older and nursed less he wanted to sleep but had a hard time making the transition so we spent alot of time driving the freeway where he would fall asleep no prob. Finally one day when he was about 4 mos or so I decided I'd just stay home since I couldn't face another hour of driving aimlessly. We settled on the bed and I nursed him and lo and behold he fell asleep pretty quickly. He woke a couple of times but I knew how long his afternoon nap usually was so I nursed him back to sleep. Now we're in a rhythm of one short nap (30-45 mins) in the a.m. and a longer one (1.5-2.5 hrs) in the afternoon. For the moment anyway as I know that this too will change. Like eileeninnj said just because your babe wakes up doesn't mean that she's ready to get up, maybe try nursing her back to sleep. I find that my ds will wake between 20-40 mins after he initially falls asleep--something about the rem cycle I think. Also the 2 naps a day thing is a bit of a myth. Some babes take shorter naps and longer night sleeps. They're all different. HTH

1 - 4 of 4 Posts