Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else get the chills when you here that common term? You know how people always ask what you are having. I always respond with: "Well, the doctor thinks it's a boy, but the ultrasound wasn't convincing to me." and "I don't care either way." Then they always come back with: "As long as it's healthy, right?" That just creeps me out because I will love my baby boy or girl, healthy or not--whatever "healthy" is supposed to mean. It seems like that thoughtless term insinuates that it its not OK if the baby isn't perfectly "normal." What do you think, does this bug you too?

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
When they say "As long as it's healthy" I respond with, "As long as I get to bring it home." Or sometimes if I feel really snarky I say "As long as it's a breather."

Gossamer

·
Registered
141 Posts
i'm with y'all!! who defines normal and healthy and how? i've been thinking about that a lot recently. like if my son was gay, could that be deemed unhealthy or not normal? i'm sure by some it would. and if your child is born with something "wrong," it's like they're less than perfect, and it's uncomfortable to talk about with many. and what kid is perfect? even if they're born "perfect" by mainstream definitions, who stays that way? we all have our quirks and they should be celebrated and loved!!

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Disability issues are very close to my heart, so I hear what you're saying! I think a lot of times people are just saying that to have something to say though and don't really mean something bad.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I hate that too. My MIL is famous for those types of things. When started suspecting DS had an autism spectrum disorder, she would say, "That's okay, we still love him."
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR It would make me soooo mad.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
There was a HUGE discussion over this phrase a few months back at another message board that I frequent. I think that it's just one of those phrases that's been repeated so much thru the years that it's often an auto-response. (kind of like people asking "how are you?" - how often do they really want to know? ) Most people who say "as long as it's healthy" are not implying that they will reject a less than perfect child.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts