Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Well, here it is week 16 and I'm still nauseated by any food not on the old school BRATY diet. I've managed to make it more of a FRATY diet by having several fruits instead of just bananas, but I am seriously tired of rice, applesauce, toast, and yogurt. A few other foods, like a small salad, will go down and stay down. But anytime I venture into more delicious territory, like pizza or burgers, I get very nauseated and sometimes even lose them. Since I'm having trouble gaining weight this pregnancy, I've been sticking to the FRATY diet for weeks. Sooooo borrrring.

Any ideas of ways to gently expand my diet without upsetting my stomach? I've started to come to grips with the fact that this may not go away with first trimester. SIGH.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Oh I'm so sorry you are dealing with this. I find that greasy foods make me feel icky (peanut butter, cheese, etc) but I have much better luck with spicy, vinegary foods....pad thai anyone. But that is just me....You just have to listen to your cravings and find out what works for you.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The problem I'm having is my cravings don't stick well. (Pizza and burgers are on that list). So for some reason my normally reliable internal radar is all out of wack. Soup I might be able to handle, and that sounds pretty yummy. Maybe I'll try that tonight.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a friend who saw her Homeopath for a remedy and is amazingly cured of around the clock nausea. Are you open to alternative health options?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I too am 16 weeks and its only been a week in which I can eat AND keep the food down. I am still dealing with mild nausea and lack of appetite, so my diet is still bland but thankfully has ventured a bit from the BRATY diet. So I can totally relate!

What I found appealing were smoothies, so friendly for the stomach. I used a light tasting protein/vitamin mix to add in the nutrients. Other food friends for me: potatoes and potatoes, plain cold cereal (cheerios or Kix), chicken, and bland soups.

I too discovered that my cravings were not what I could keep down, very frustrating. Now that I am beginning to feel better, I hesitate to obey cravings. But I am working on it. I found this list online at Ask Dr Sears.

SAY 'YES' TO TUMMY-FRIENDLY COMFORT FOODS
Applesauce,
Avocado,
Bagels,
Cereal,
Chewing gum (breaks up the excessive saliva, which exacerbates nausea),
Frozen yogurt, Ginger (root extract, fresh ground, capsules, tea, sticks, crystals, or snaps),
Grapes,
Lemon drops,
Lemons (for sucking on or sniffing),
Mints, peppermint,
Oatmeal,
Potato chips,
Potatoes (baked, boiled, mashed),
Puddings,
Raspberry leaf tea,
Rice cakes,
Soda crackers,
Sorbet, sherbet
Yogurt, and smoothies.

I hope you feel better soon momma!

·
Registered
304 Posts
I am 14ish weeks along now and am just now able to eat. Before, I couldn't eat hardly anything unless it was quite salty. What helped with some of the nausea for me was to eat sour things--pickles, candies, etc. or chewing/sucking on cinnamon candy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.