Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you homeschooling moms just ever get tired and unmotivated? We had a great year but I have a very active, kinda lazy, very energetic first grader who likes to get into trouble with his younger brother, like all day long. It took a toll on me this year because I myself am experiencing some medical problems but thankfully the year is nearing an end where I am giving myself and him some time to break. Part of me wonders if I haven't found a good method yet.

I know homeschooling is about freedom to choose what you teach but there is part of me that doesn't want him to fall behind for fear that they will at some point test him and he's not up to par or something. I was never homeschooled myself so it's surely a new concept. I don't have any friends that homeschool either as it's not too popular where I live, so I feel alone in this journey. I don't have anyone to talk to about it that truly understands, so those hard days I just suck it up and deal. I am also disappointed in the lack of social activities for homeschoolers in my area and surely feel that area has been lacking the past few months, especially since my son is easily distractible so never really cared for the co-ops we joined. He doesn't care for sports either! We did karate, t-ball, and soccer and he didn't like any of those so that doesn't help. He did an art class that he liked at first but got tired of that too.

Kind of feeling alone here and could use some support to pick me back up:smile:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'll post more later
But just wanted to say
I hear you, in fact the last 3 weeks I
Felt just like that
I was questioning whether or not to continue
I was so burned out and tired and It
Seemed all Little and I did was bicker
So
Hugs
And try some extra self care
A

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are voicing so much of what I feel. Same worries, same loneliness and same tired. My girls were born at and after age 40 and now menopause hit (early) at the same time as undertaking homeschooling. I feel afraid and overwhelmed at times, though inspired and determined.. we're actually only new to it. So one would hope... I am wishing you a good rest, good food, and some restorative days this summer. We are schooling all summer since dd was behind at brick and mortar school when she left. Sending you a coffee and a playdate in my mind!!!

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Oh I completely know how you feel. I'm totally burned out. My son liked homeschooling but was so difficult to motivate to do anything unless I directly worked with him constantly. He's in 8th grade this year. Since he chose to go to high school next year, we needed to keep up on school work. I am just burned out and he is, too. It doesn't help that I am finishing up my last semester of online college. So I'm just burned out with formal learning!

We are taking a bit of a break at the moment but I intend on keeping up with things through the summer. Since my schooled girls will be home for the summer, we'll do field trips and stuff, too.. and I will be DONE college! So no classes this summer!

No advice but I can commiserate.

Reactions: SilverMoon010

·
Registered
254 Posts
A friend gave me a really good pep talk, I went away for a yoga retreat weekend, and things are looking up.
This is what I'm wondering, hoping, praying
Next year will be better? Please tell me it gets easier.
A

·
Registered
161 Posts
Rounding this out with a big yes. I am getting better now that the weather is nice. I appear to be solar powered. Ive also started daily yoga with an app on my iPad, so no excuse, I can do it anywhere... And that really helped, too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts