Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm asking because dd had some food sensitivities when she was younger. Among other signs, I was able to tell because her anus would turn red. I thought that we had her sensitivities under control, but it dawned on me that her little anus has darkened (she is relatively fair skinned). She is 28 months old - is this normal? Or, is this darkening from habitual reddening?

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I've changed a lot of diapers (not as much as a child care worker, but a fair number of children), and I have seen a number of darkened anuses. So, I've either seen many that have been afflicted by allergy rings, or it is fairly normal.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Does she have any other signs that the intolerances are back?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Does she have any other signs that the intolerances are back?
DD has problems with dairy and wheat. We avoid wheat completely and she does fine with ghee. For the past 6 months or so, she has been doing great (I measure by sleep, bm and smooth skin). Lately, it's harder to tell because she has been teething badly (2 yr molars). She won't eat or drink much making bm a little hard (but it's from dehydration) and she wakes up at nights but will actually say that her mouth is hurting. She has dry skin on her arms right now (not red, but dry and rough) but I am thinking it is because we like in a desert state and we have the heat on.

Also in Oct. she had allergic reaction 20 minutes after she ate something off the floor. It looked like a piece of stale food. She thought it was a kale chip, but I don't know what it was. She was red behind the ears, back and back of legs. I did a food challenge of the foods she ate for breakfast that morning just in case it was caused by something she had eaten 1.5 before the rash began. But, she seemed fine after I reintroduced eggs and hasn't had a reaction like that again. So, I am fairly sure the reaction was to the unidentified peice of "food" she ate off the floor.

kjbrown92 - I feel like I gave way too much information, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
The "mystery floor food" -- like that hasn't happened to all of us. And who knows what it was. That was good that you challenged the other foods just in case.

Too much information is always better than too little.

It's hard when they're teething to know whether to chalk it up to teething or something else. Though with the rough dry skin and the allergy ring seeming to come back, I would wonder if either there's another food, or if the ghee really isn't so "safe". That would be the first thing I'd take out, personally. Then when she's done teething, if she doesn't start sleeping again, I'd consider another food. My kids' butts look completely normal when there's no triggers. Even after months of redness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.