Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Hi all.  With my first, I had a great doula and a great midiwfe attended hospital birth.    When my water broke at 2 am, we called doula and checked in but ended up just hanging out and laboring at home by ourselves for the next 17 hours.  I went into transition (I didn't know it at the time), and that's when DH called the doula and she came over.  We stayed home for about another 30 -45 minutes, and then we all went to the hospital.  DH drove and doula and I were crouched on hands and knees in the backseat b/c I was having bad back labor.  Once we arrived, midwife stayed with us the entire time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Fast forward 3 years.  We are using the same midwife and had been planning to go it alone sans doula primarily for financial reasons as we were feeling like we spent $1000 for the car ride, though I certainly feel like she earned every penny during that ride!  Now we have a 3 year old in the mix and my thoughts about laboring at home are all wrapped up in the logistics of her.  If we had a doula, DH could deal with her, and the doula could support me until the grandparents arrived.  Not to mention the fact that I feel like having the doula in the car with us while I was basically mooing, would help DH get us safely to the hospital.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hmmm.  Any thoughts or perspectives would be much appreciated!</p>

·
Registered
102 Posts
<p>There have been lots of threads like this..Don't let your financial situation deter you. Go ahead and contact the doulas in your area.  Many of them will work on a sliding scale, for barter, or for free.  Most doulas feel like no woman who wants a doula should have to go without! HTH!</p>

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
<p>If the three year old is not going to watch the birth... I'd find said three year a playmate to or grandparent to pick them up once labor starts. It sounds like your dh can handle supporting you this time.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts