Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Judy-

I have an active 2.3 yr. old and 14 month old sons. My 2.3 yr. old is very active, not hyper, active. He physically can hang with kids twice his age, he can do pull ups, run fast, climb just about anything. Ever since he was born I've been letting him take the lead, following almost every whim to run free, which he likes to do a lot. My 14 month old is much more a sit and play in the sand box kind of kid; fairly happy in the carrier. Nuture or nature, who knows.

So we live in New York metro area and a tree-line street with moderate amounts of traffic. During the day its fairly quiet, but still have cars frequently. We have a nice size backyard, nice size driveway to ride cars, draw with calk and a playset. However, my son loves to take off. He loves to go for walks, impulsively. I also notice he's much more likely to run free when he's frustrated or I'm given my 14 month old attention. I take him walking at least once a day, have playgroups, go to parks; we're outside alot.

We're considering fencing in our yard for safety reasons. But I'm wondering if that's the right approach to the situation? I'd like him to be free to explore, but it's not possible to take off at every chance. Is there an alterantive to chasing hime 3 or 4 times a day out the yard and redirecting him back? Is it fair to my 14 mon old whose happily playing in the sandbox to get up and go every time my 2.3 yr. old wants?

We're both frustrated and fencing is expensive.

Lee

·
Registered
174 Posts
I can't seem to reply in the threads, so I will post here. Yes, fence! Children under the age of 9 can't be trusted to navigate near roads safely. Parents must keep small children contained from traffic.

Warmly, Judy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.