Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know this is a frequent question, but please humor me, mamas! i've recently night weaned my 2 1/2 yr. old son and it has gone really well. there was almost no crying and the transition has been pretty smooth. the only thing is, and maybe this has nothing to do with the no night nursing rule, but he is fighting sleep like crazy. he doesn't cry, he just won't fall asleep. same with naps, although when he does go down for a nap he sleeps an hour or two. so, i'm thinking of ditching the naps. i know some say this makes for worse nights but has anyone found it helpful at this age to give up napping? i'm looking to have falling asleep take, maybe, thirty or forty minutes, as opposed to an hour and a half! the other issue is that he's sharing a room with his 4 yo brother, so i don't want lots of noise and fussing while we work this out. help?

·
Registered
716 Posts
i feel your pain. i've posted on here numerous times and still haven't found the "solution" to my ds's sleeping (or lack thereof!) problems. we have dropped naps, but it wasn't by my choosing initially. he just fought them so bad I got annoyed with trying to make them happen. he'd happily nap in the car at 4pm, but that's it. naps make bedtime take F.O.R.E.V.E.R. no nap USUALLY equals a 10 minute bedtime routine of primarily nursing - he's even too tired for a story most nights. this feels wrong b/c i have the notion that bedtime should be all lovey dovey extended reading and singing and such, but he couldn't do it and if we tried, he'd end up bouncing off the walls b/c it's that kind of interaction that generally spurs him on to stay awake.
i will warn you though that at least in my situation, my son is an absolute FREAK CHILD from about 4:30 pm until bedtime which can be as early as 6:30 or late as 8. we always try early, but i don't have the patience to nurse a 2.75 year old wolverine for an hour and a half. sometimes he'll crash early, other times, he's hooting, raking his hand along the bed rail, bouncing his butt up in the air, etc...i just don't have the patience for that right now, so we get back up and he plays while i do some chores until he's ready to crash.
this is a pitiful set-up b/c while he sleeps well from bedtime til about 5am (then nurses a few seconds and back to sleep until about 7), he's still only getting about 11 to 11.5 hours of sleep most nights. some it's 9. i don't think it's enough. but any nap at any time of day will rev him up for a bedtime no earlier than 9pm. he's a weird sleeper
: good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My ds (just 3) falls asleep in 10-15 min if he hasn't napped and 1 hr to 1.5 hrs if he has. So for us it is definitely true, but I find I still need some down time during the day, basically we are in between right now too!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.