Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds is 25 months old, and I haven't pumped in a long time. (I really dislike pumping.)

I'm a musician, and I play in two out of town orchestras. On rehearsal nights, I get home after ds is already asleep. I usually only have 4 or 5 of these nights in a row. On any other night, ds nurses to sleep. I don't pump anymore when I get home, and I'm not uncomfortable. I usually leak some when he nurses in the night or in the morning.

In the next two weeks, I have 7 nights in a row that I'll be gone at his bedtime. Should I be concerned about my supply? He nurses several times during the day, too.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I stopped pumping when the boys were each about 12 months old. I figures since they were allowed to have other foods by that age, they wouldn't miss the breast milk while I was away too much (2 1/2 work days a week). They just took rice or soy milk when I was at work.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I stopped pumping a few months ago. DS is sixteen months old. I wasn't engorged, so I figured, why bother? My milk supply is okay and I have no problem with it if it dwindles and he becomes a bit more dependent on solids

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You might get uncomfortable, yk? But if ya don't need it, I wouldn't worry. You'll still be nursing him at other times, right? And it doesn't sound like you ALWAYS nurse him down in the evenings. Just go with how you feel.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been thinking about it more, and there are really just two days that I'm worried about. I have two double service days in a row. This Saturday I'll be gone from 11:30 AM until midnight. Then the next day I'll leave at 9:30 AM and get back at 1:00 AM.

I'm driving by myself the first day, so I'll just pump when I get home. Yuck. I hate getting home that late then having to pump. But I'll probably need to. Then on Sunday I'll take the pump and let my friend drive while I pump. She has done that for me before. She's such a good sport - she doesn't have kids yet, but she doesn't bat an eyelash when ds nurses.

Thanks for letting me think out loud here.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've tried the pumping and driving thing, and it was just too tricky. I have a Pump In Style, and I have to see what I'm doing to get myself centered. Suctioning the wrong body part hurts!

And my weekend just got busier. They added another service on Saturday. ARGH!! More money, but jeeze!!! Leaving at 8:00 AM and getting home at midnight. The timing just stinks. We're playing a concert the night before, too. So I get home at 11:30 PM on Friday.

Deep breath. Dh is going to bring ds halfway on Saturday, so I'll see them between the second rehearsal and the concert. He can nurse then.

We are playing for Linda Ronstadt, so it should be fun.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just thought I'd come back and tell you that my weekend went fine! I did take the pump, but didn't use it. I just really hate pumping, and there was nowhere private.

I was concerned about ds only nursing once in the morning, so I did what I thought I would never do! I hand expressed into the toilet.

Linda Ronstadt sounded great! She sang all of those great Nelson Riddle tunes - Someone to Watch Over Me, Bewitched, Crazy in Love, Lush Life, Staighten Up and Fly Right. . .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.