Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD is 23 months old and I am 24 weeks pregnant. My supply tanked at about 4 weeks and has not picked back up. DD was nursing pretty regularly, but lately, she doesn't ask and even if I ask her, she says no. She is very satisfied with her binky, which she has had since around 8 months old. I keep trying to get her interested, but I think she may be done 'dry nursing'. I had dreams of tandem nursing and at least nursing till 2 years.<br><br>
Anyways, keep offering? Let her wean? Take away the binky until after she nurses? There isn't really any milk at this point, so no nutritional value, just emotional... But, I would love her to keep nursing until after the baby comes and she can get some of the antibodies for the winter.<br><br>
I get sad when I think of weaning, but I know it should be about what she needs.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I would take away the binky and keep offering and hope that she doesn't lose her latch. I might stop offering later if she still seems disinterested in nursing after the baby is born and your milk has come in.<br><br>
Comfort nursing with no milk is better for her physical oral development than a pacifier, not to mention emotional/social development. At almost 2 she's old enough to make the decision to wean, but she's also old enough to be done with bottles and pacifiers.<br><br>
I'm 18 weeks and my supply isn't completely gone, but there's way less and my 31 month old has cut down on nursing. We talk a lot about how there will be "lots, lots more of the yummy milk" once the baby is born though and that seems to encourage her.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I don't feel ready, but I feel bad when I ask and she says no. I will keep offering (before the binky).

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I would let her wean, personally. She seems like she knows what she wants. If she wants to pick it up again after you have your baby well and good. If not you'll have had extra practice with all the new and wonderful ways you'll find to bond with your daughter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts