Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 and a half year old boy that at home is mostly happy and well behaved. When we take him out to social gatherings that have lots of people he changes into a completely different kid. If any adults approach him and try to talk to him he yells, "No! Stop it!", everytime. He even does it to family members that he is comfortable with but only at big gatherings. He will even yell at people who are having a separate conversation to stop talking. Periodically, I will take him to a quiet place for a few minutes so he can reset. It helps calm him down a bit but if anyone talks to him he will still yell at them. He had a well check a week or so ago and he of course was doing the same thing to the pediatrician. She didn't offer a ton of advice, just validated that it would be socially difficult to have a child who behaves like this.
I was an anxious child, but would never dare yell at adults. I don't know if it is just how he processes his anxiety? To try and help we always have a pep talk before going to a large social setting and I let him know that there will be a lot of people there and that we shouldn't say things like "stop it" and that instead we can just say, "Hi" and if he feels uncomfortable he doesn't need to say anything to anyone. He does wonderfully at repeating what we talk about and seems to understand. But as soon as we get to where we are going it's out the door and he is yelling at people.
I understand he is at a difficult age and this may just be a phase that he grows out of. I just want to make sure that I am doing everything I can to support him if this is an anxiety issue. Its also frustrating because I want everyone to see the sweet little boy that he is when he is in a comfortable setting (maybe selfish but he really is a sweetheart most of the time).
Has anyone experienced similar behavior with their children? Did you find anything particularly helpful? I don't want to stress him out but I also don't want to take away socialization experiences that will benefit him. Any insight or advise would be greatly appreciated!

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
You can not go out so much if it causes him so much distress.

You can try going out with a smaller group to quieter settings.

You can get him a sitter.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Saying "hi" is pretty much the opposite of "stop it" so I'd say distract or channel the energy.

Crayons, toys, stress ball?

Keep trying stuff. As soon as you figure it out it'll change again. Lol.

Hugs to you momma.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts