Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if there is a safe and natural way to rid my daughter of this nasty habit. I notice that she does it when she is bored, particularly when she's in the car. I try to remind her not to chew her nails, but she continues to do it. She also has flaky palms and has started to chew the skin off her fingers as well. Her fingertips are now raw and the first layer of skin is gone.

Is there anything I can do short of duct taping ovenmitts over her hands (I wouldn't really do this of course, but I would like to find a solution.)????

·
Premium Member
2,670 Posts
I have been biting my nails since I was a toddler and I think it really stems from having too much nervous energy and needing to do something with the hands. When I crochet while watching tv I don't bite my nails. Maybe if you get her some small but complicated hand toys that need a lot of manipulation that might keep her busy during those boring times? I feel for you. My toddler has started imitating my nail biting so I have to be very careful not to bite my nails in front of him. When he does it I always distract him with something to put in his hands. Good luck!
Wendi

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
my kid bites her toe nails. I find it rather revolting.
I haven't found a way to make her stop doing it, but like lactivist said, she does seem to do better if she has something to occupy her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts