Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!! I'm new here and was referred to this website by Kristina ("DynamicDoula") from the I-Village message boards. My problem is this: I had my son circumcized at birth (something I deeply regret), and now he's having some problems (he'll be two in July 2007). For the last few weeks, his penis has been red and irritated, and it seems to itch like crazy. The other night, I was applying some polysporin (seems to soothe it), and it appears it may be reattaching (he had some inclination towards that between 4-6 months old).<br><br>
Has anyone else gone through this, and do I have to have them pull the skin back again? I'm expecting our second child in October, and I'll find out tomorrow if it's a boy. I'm terrified of circumcizing again, especially because I really didn't want to the first time - my husband was all for it. But will it hurt the new baby's ego as he grows up and realizes he's different from daddy and big brother? And is that a good enough reason to do this again?? So many questions and fears....<br><br>
Thank you for your help....Jennifer<br>
Proud SAHM to Benjamin Michael, 07-29-2005<br>
Expecting a Blessing, 10-16-2007

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
If you go down a bit on the mainpage, there is a whole "The Case Against Circumcision" area and those ladies should have lots of info for you.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
That's what I was going to say! They are very knowledgable, and will certainly help.<br><br>
But, also, I wanted to answer your questions. First of all, from what I understand, you should just leave his penis alone, don't break the adhesions, they will separate on their own, when they were meant to (had you not circumcised him). Also, about the whole "looking like daddy/brother thing", It's of my opinion that the second boy will not feel bad about looking differently, as much as the first boy will feel bad for having almost half of his penis cut off at birth. (I don't mean that meanly, it's just what I've heard from mamas who've BTDT). I would do "the right thing" (not circumcise the next boy) and figure out the rest as you go along, being honest with both boys, how you "really didn't want it done, but did it anyway- for whatever reason; but when you became more educated on the topic, you decided that 2 wrongs don't make a right." There are alot of moms on the Case Against Circumcision board who've been in your shoes and have some boys circ'ed and some intact. They'll definately be able to help you! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
6,219 Posts
Please don't think your son will be negatively affected by having a different looking penis than his father.<br><br>
My husband's back is covered in mongolian birth marks (deep blue bruise-looking birth marks). My son sees his back all the time (much more than his penis!!). I would never think to make them match or that having his back look different as risky.<br><br>
I think it's the same for the penis. Besides, when your son becomes retractable, he can pull his foreskin back and his penis will look like his father's does.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts