Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wel, I am trying to figure out how to approach this my son lets just say he's 2 because he will be 2 in less than 2 wks now.

I give him crayons and a coloring book , extra paper, i sit down and to be participating in his coloring in hopes that he will stay in one place.

In that case it's not the case he will move on to color floors, walls, doors, cupboards.

I know some people state make them 'clean up the coloring mess by making him clean off where he colored but to me I think that wouldn't be a good way because of his age because I have 'requested him to pick up his food after he throws it on the floor he gets down and walks away.

I take away his crayons after he does that then i give them back the next day and back to the other than paper area he goes.

Any idea's of how to get my son to see crayon's on anywhere else are 'no no's and what to do ?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
have you tried inexpensive "butcher paper" stapled to a large section of the wall?

I recommend getting a roll, or possibly a few big pieces of plain paper. When you see him go for something he is not supposed to color on, offer to help him put up some paper so he can color there.

Of course there is a practical limit, but he will probably find it very amusing at first, and eventually settle on a "favorite" place to color.

He wants to decorate your world it is easier to find a way to let him.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
I eventually realized that my ds had little interest in paper. He was much happier working on 3D stuff like boxes or scraps of wood. I kept things like crayons and markers out of reach unless I was supervising. But it sounds like your ds wants to be more active while he is coloring. Have you tried chalk outside? Or "painting" with water outside? I think chalk is easier to clean than crayons so maybe it would be a good inside medium as well. A little pricey, but you could get that chalkboard paint and paint a small table (coffee table from a thrift store or cheap one from IKEA) with it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My daughter has pretty much redecorated the playroom, herself (she likes to draw on her legs with markers) and even...shudder...the playroom couch, which is filled with lovely people and interesting designs. I know I am in the minority, but I figure we can paint at some point, wash her legs off, heck I am saving the glitter glue handprints she made at the top of the stairs. That kind of thing doesn't bother me at all. One more area of surrender (and I have a new house!) But I do try to redirect her, paper is the appropriate medium...in vain.

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
How about those markers that only color on a certain type of paper?

Maybe while the weather is nice, you could try chalk outside . . .

·
Registered
994 Posts
Those markers are not liked by my dd, at least. Yes, chalk outside is good, but for the truly "creative" child are not enough!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
can you paint your walls with that chalkboard paint and let him have at it with chalk? or on the sidewalk? or on himself? LOL

a cheaper alternative is soap.
we gave rowan bars of soap and let him draw all over the walls with it. it washes right off, as you can probably imagine. it's not as great on dark walls, but on light walls it's great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts