Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a wreck.
I just got home from the dentist. All of my daughter's top teeth are rotting. I had taken her to my dentist about 7 months ago, when I first noticed discoloration, and was told that she just had very thin enamel so not to worry about it. They kept getting worse, and I'm really beating myself up for not going to a pediatric dentist sooner. Now one of her teeth is brown, and just yesterday a big chunk came off of the front of one of her front teeth. The dentist said she has extensive rotting, that it will progress quickly, that she needs some crowns, some fillings, and that the front 4 teeth may need to be pulled. They don't look that bad from the front, but he said the back is much, much worse. I'm a wreck. He said it was from allowing breastmilk to pool in her mouth, but was actually generally supportive of breastfeeding. I'm not sure I believe the part about the breastmilk, other than to say that she does have thin enamel (like most of my family), so she's more prone to cavities and although she is pretty good at letting me brush there were times she went to sleep without brushing. Plus I didn't brush before naps. So there was opportunity for milk to sit there with food- which could be the problem. I'm trying not to beat myself up about that because my family has such bad teeth anywhere there probably wasn't a whole lot I could have done. Anyway, the soonest they can do the procedure is a month from now, and I'm worried it will get worse before then. I see the posts about the Spry toothpaste, and will order some today. Can someone please tell me what the procedure will be like? The dentist said it will take about 2 and 1/2 hours, that I can be there when she falls asleep but not when she first wakes up. She's never been away from me, other than with her father, will she be terrified? Or will she still be sedated enough to not get too upset? I'm terrified and upset and just not sure what to do. Thanks for any help or support.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, we're pretty upset with our family dentist right now. She told us it was no big deal, just to make sure to brush regularly. It didn't sound right to me, so I take partial blame for not getting a second opinion. Anyway, I'm trying not to wallow in the past, kwim? We've got to face the present now.

Thanks for the input. I ordered some of the xylitol gel, and am going to check out those other threads now. The biggest problem, I think, is that her front teeth are literally crumbling away. They don't "look decayed"- they aren't black, but little chunks come off each day. The two next to her front teeth are almost gone, and about 1/2 of her left front tooth is wobbly and I'm sure will be gone within a week. I don't know if I can do flouride that often since she doesn't spit? Plus, if her teeth are crumbling like this, won't she be left with little jaggedy stubs anyway?

I really hate to have her front teeth pulled, but the dentist is saying they can't be saved. I talked to my grandparents, and was told that lots of people in my family have had this problem. My grandfather's baby teeth AND permanent teeth both crumbled away like chalk. He had dentures at 22. Great.

I hate this, hate this, hate this. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to give her anethesia, don't want her to lose her front 4 teeth- but if I don't, then are they just going to crumble away, be painful and sharp, and cause infection???

Aaaaagggghhhh.

· Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for sharing your experiences. It helps in some strange way to know that other people got the brush-off too. Like maybe I'm not a complete idiot for falling for it. Anyway, I have and update. Two days ago a huge chunk came out of her front tooth, leaving just a jagged (and very sharp) point. I'm sure it is hurting her tongue and lip, if the tooth itself isn't hurting, and it definately hurts ME when nursing. So I called the dentist and got the surgery moved up to Friday. I'm terrified, but I really think it is the best thing. I'm really hoping for caps rather than extractions, but am looking into the kiddie partial just in case. My dentist says he does them, but not often because they are removable and the kids tend to take them out and lose them. Has this been anyone's experience? At least we can get one if we want to. Hopefully we'll she'll have caps and we won't need to.

The surgery center has been wonderful. We're going on a tour tomorrow. They have flavored gas (kids pick their own flavor), and they cart the kids around in little red wagons. I got the name of the "best" anethesiologist, and have made a special request for him. I'll find out tomorrow if we got him. The charge nurse has called me three times to answer all of my questions. I've been pushing to be there as soon as she wakes up, but they're saying it's a multi-patient post-op room and nobody can be there. They assure me that the moment she stirs she'll be brought to me- before she can full wake up. I'm going to talk to the post-op nurses during our tour.

Malamamama- I love the idea about spitting the water outside! My concern is that we're on a well and it has Arsenic. It's a borderline amount, so a little probably wouldn't hurt her, but we have a special faucet with reverse osmositized (is that a word?) water for drinking. Maybe we can take out a pitcher of good water and try it. Or heck, just try it in the kitchen sink! She loves to drink from the spicket like a "water fountain". Hmmm... thanks for the idea.

One other question for everyone. How much should I tell her? Should we tell her that her teeth are getting "fixed"? We've been afraid that will make her think there is something wrong with them. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.