Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever we go out my almost 17mo toddler doesn't nurse. This can be for many hours. We were out today from about 11 am until about 4 pm and he didn't nurse the entire time we were out. On top of that, he hadn't nursed since about 9:30 this morning because he fell asleep. We had to wake him up so that we could go out. At around 2 I tried to get him to nurse but he just wasn't interested. He finally decided he wanted to nurse after we got home around 4:30 or 5:00. When we are at home he nurses at least every 3 hours if not more frequently. Should I be worried that he is not interested in nursing while we are out? I know it's mostly because he's so interested in all the new and different things that are going on around him but I'm worried that he will wean.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my 19 mo. old is very much the same way, nurses a TON at home, but is not even interested when we spend a day out and about.

it sounds like your babe is not interested in weaning if he's still nursing so frequently at home.

FWIW, i was gone from my boy for a WEEK!!! (DH took him home to his family for XMas, and we couldn't afford an extra ticket) I was nervous that he might decided he didn't want 'na-nas ' anymore after that long on the bottle, but NOPE, happily returned to the boobs as soon as they were available again.

i don't think you need to be too concerned. does he eat snacks while you're out living life?

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, he does eat lots of food and snacks and drinks lots of water.

I can't believe you were away from your ds for an entire week and he still wanted to nurse when he came back! I'm also surprised you still had milk. I don't really know because I've never actually looked it up, although I've been meaning to, but I assumed milk would dry up within a few days of not nursing at all. Did you pump while he was gone?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarineWife
Yes, he does eat lots of food and snacks and drinks lots of water.

I can't believe you were away from your ds for an entire week and he still wanted to nurse when he came back! I'm also surprised you still had milk. I don't really know because I've never actually looked it up, although I've been meaning to, but I assumed milk would dry up within a few days of not nursing at all. Did you pump while he was gone?

oh my goodness, yes, i had to pump. i've always been quite a 'super producer' and have fed him on demand his whole life. i just pumped for personal comfort though, a few times a day. just thinking about them (DS and DH) would make me let down.

it was kind of a rough week, but also very, very wonderful!!!! For everyone.

·
Registered
11,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gosh, I don't know how you all did it. I was nervous about leaving my ds for just a few minutes while I test drove a car yesterday and he was with my dh.
I wasn't worried about him being with my dh but I was worried that he would want to nurse and I wouldn't be there.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
My DS has never been much of a NIPer. I certainly don't mind nursing him in public, but he never asks. He is still nursing at 3, so I wouldn't be too worried about him weaning. Trust that your child knows when he needs to nurse, and if that isn't when you are out than so be it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts