Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DS is 25 months and has only ever had breastmilk and water... until this week.

He kept asking for tastes of my iced tea, so I let him. Now he BEGS for tea.

I brew my own using HERBAL DECAF fruity tea and ice it. And I sweeten with Stevia. Is it bad to let him drink herbal decaf tea?

What about the Stevia?

Right now he just has tiny sips... but I want to make sure before I start letting him have more?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Herbal tea is fine. I've given it to babies as young as 4 months. (Fennel tea, to help with upset tummies.) I'm assuming stevia is fine as well, but I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I answer that part.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
My DD (26 mths) has been drinking herbal (mostly mint) tea sweetened w/ honey since 18 mths. She loves it, and it is the only way for my DH and I to drink coffee or hot tea in the mornings for breakfast, otherwise she is begging and screaming for our drinks!

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
DD likes the fruity herbal teas. We get one called Black Cherry Berry and she thinks it's great. It's tasty like juice, but it's got no empty calories like juice does and won't rot her teeth and is generally a great alternative. The only tea I'd avoid giving to a toddler would be caffeinated tea. Otherwise, I think it's a great idea.

I don't know a thing about Stevia, though, so I can't answer that part of the question.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
ds (18 months) loves tea, also. Chamomile, mint, lemon, even regular tea (only a teeny sip of mine to quell his curiosity).

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
My DD 2.8 years also love tea. She does not drink fruit juice. I have given her tea with caffeine, green tea, oolong tea, English tea, but I water it down and no sweetner. Does fruity herb tea need to be sweetened? I do think stevia is fine for little ones.
I live in Japan so there is quite a huge tea culture here.
Kathryn

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
My dcs have been drinking herbal teas since they were much younger. Nettles, chamomile, peppermint, etc. "Tea" was the second beverage my dd asked for by name (the first being mama's milk
) .
My ds (now 5) drinks decaf green tea and decaf chai too.

·
Registered
211 Posts
my ds has been drinking tea for a while...my family are big iced tea drinkers...so it was bound to catch on...I made my mother switch to decaff tea. and I use those cold brew bags because I don't need another thing to pay attention to like boiling water on the stove...lol. He says "ice T" so excitedly. He probably drinks a sippy cup full every day. I add a bit of sugar, as he seems to like it better that way, but will drink it unsweetened if I forget. and I always pack his sippy cup with ice, so it gets pretty watered down by the time he gets to the end of it.

He is a big drinker though and always has a cup of something in his hand. (Milk, water, watered down apple/white grape juice, or TEA!!!)

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Rooibos (Red Tea) is a GREAT tea for little ones. It is naturally caffeine free and naturally sweet. It has been given to little ones in South Africa for ages. It eases tummy troubles and teething pain etc.

Both my brother and I had Rooibos in bottles before we were one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.