Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 14 months old and barely eats solid food twice a day. It's a good day if she eats solids 4-5 times a day. I offer food at every meal and 2 snacks a day. Usually she eats breakfast and dinner and that's it. She still nurses for about an hour in the morning, before and after naps, before bed, and during the night.

She will eat, right? She's been a little pixie for a while now and since I'm also on Ritalin, I don't know if that's playing a role or not.

Pix for Reference:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...2156619&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...&id=1482156619

·
Registered
33 Posts
i know nothing about the ritalin component, but her eating sounds totally within the realm of completely normal, especially for a breastfeeding baby. after a year, all babies' growth slows down, and bf babies often tend to be leaner toddlers (which is perfectly healthy). plus, the charts commonly used to give you a percentage for weight are based on formula fed babies. if she is nursing well, that's awesome; solids are more for exploring and for fun right now. the best way to help her eat well is to put healthy, interesting food in front of her and let her decide when and how much she wants. if it becomes a power struggle, you will lose, every time. if she is continuing to grow on her curve, not dropping lots of weight, that's what matters. fwiw, my dd was exactly the same and didn't eat much until around 18 mos. i hear this come up frequently among bfing toddlers- they know they got it good at the breast, why change a good thing?

molly

·
Premium Member
4,858 Posts
really, she'll eat when she's ready. ds goes back and forth, based on teething or the air, or whatever...used to eat raisins by the handful, won't give them a second look now unless they're covered in yogurt (then he sucks the yogurt off and spits the raisin out!).

At almost 24 mos, he still has to be "reminded" that he likes things.
I've been trying to get him to eat sweet potatoes since turkey day (which he used to eat by the pound) and only tonight did I sneak a bite in that tiny little mouth. He tried to spit it out and then went "mmm...yummy!" and gulped down another 6 bites. They're fickle. If you have to call a pear an apple to get them to eat, then do it. I often feed soups because he'll eat anything in soup form...he loves drinking the broth out of a bowl, at your dd's age, I used to put broth in a sippy for him.

It ebbs and flows, but it does get better!

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
DD had days at 18 months when she woudln't eat anything solid.
:

When they're hungry, they eat. At 14 months they're barely digesting half the stuff they take in, so it's still really just for exploration.

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
Sounds like dd at that age. She definitely still had days where she ate nothing at all, only nursed. I don't remember exactly when (the time just flies by without really noticing it) but definitely by 18 months, she was insisting on eating anything we ate, and for a while just really, really loved to eat! These days she's slowing down and becoming more fickle, go figure.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Keep offering a range of healthy foods and she will eat when she is ready. My DD did eat early, but still has days (at over age 2) where she totally refuses to eat. I offer regularly and figure I should trust her body to tell her when and what to eat.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Sounds normal to me. None of mine were big eaters (ie: daily eaters) until around 18 months. Avraham Tzvi is 10 months old now and he has solids maybe 1x a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.