Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how long was the time period from when your toddler started telling you they need to pee and letting you bring them every once in a while until they started telling you every time or at least letting you bring them when you ask.<br><br>
DS is 21 months and he has been telling me when he has to poop and happily pooping in the toilet since 18.5 months( after a nine month long poop strike) He only tells me when he needs to pee once in a while and lets me bring him and otherwise we only get wake-up and night pees in the potty. He will also usually stop peeing if we tell him soon enough and finish in the potty.<br>
What trainers do you recommend to keep pee from getting into the carpet but not neccessarily clothes? I dont want waterproofing layers but we are moving in with my brother and I dont think he wants pee in his carpet. I really dont want to go back to diapers though just to catch an occasional pee.<br><br>
Also how many of you bring your older babies to pee at night? DS is dry at night but I often have to bring him to pee at least twice a night. Do your toddlers go all night without peeing?<br><br>
We have been doing EC since 3.5 months and nighttime EC since about 6.5 months.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My DS started telling us verbally at 18 months that he had to go "poo". (He used "poo" regardless of whether it was a pee, poo even sometimes for a fart). I had just put him back in cd because of a transatlantic move to my MIL, who definitely didn't want any missed in her entirely carpeted house. We averaged 1-2 misses at that time. At 21 months we moved to our own place and I put him back into training pants. (I had 2 shi shi nix, 2 bright bots and 4 wee essentials plus a wool trainer cover). In underpants full time by 2 - however has stopped telling me all the time when he needs to go, so now reminding him, suggesting that he goes when I go etc. Will often say "no" to me, but will go if someone else takes him.<br>
Didn't ec at night (tried when he was v. young, but was too disruptive to all our sleep). Has been dry at night for months and months, but it wasn't until he turned 2 that I stopped using diapers as backup at night.<br><br>
Our routine: Goes to toilet, then bath, then stories/nurse/sleep. In morning, wakes, nurses then goes to toilet.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Mine has always been good with poo- well, once we fixed the oversupply and mystery green poops issues. She was pretty dry from around 18 months until we moved to my cousin's, but since we've been in our new house, at around 21 months, she's been more or less potty trained. Sometimes she has misses but they are really infrequent and I'd more call them accidents.<br><br>
We did not EC at night, and she goes off and on peeing the bed. I think it depends on how well she's sleeping (if she half-wakes, she will pee at night, and that happens more when she's teething or ate beans or whatever). I trust that she'll grow out of it and we use CD as backup at night.<br><br>
She does not always want to stop what she's doing to pee, but I consider it totally normal to remind a pre-schooler to go potty and I do remind her at times. Sometimes she doesn't want to stop playing but I try to make it more appealing if it's been a couple of hours- "Does bear need to pee? Do you want to look at a book on the potty?" That helps.<br><br>
She definitely needs me for pulling her jeans down and for wiping and for getting on and off the toilet. It's too cold here to go naked!

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 2.5 year old DS still needs to pee at night. We have a pee bottle (old juice bottle with a wider opening) and just sit him up and hold it over his penis and make the cue-noise. It works well for us and keeps the disruption to a minimum. I think it's really variable as to when they no longer need to pee at night. As it is, I often need to pee at night!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the responses. We do the "does bear need to pee?" thing and reading books and sometimes we play with stickers on the potty as well. It works sometimes but other times he really doesn't want to. I think he just feels like peeing in the potty is an inconvenience. Sometimes I worry that it's because I was a little too obsessive about catching all of the pees when he was younger.<br>
With pooping though he has been doing great still. He has told me a little late a couple of times lately but that is the exception and I thinks it's because I have been distracted by trying to move. Thanks so much for the input I really like hearing about toddler EC because there aren't as many posts about it and, well, my EC baby is a toddler now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts