Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm guessing this is totally normal toddler behavior...but I'm struggling with what to do about it. Dd has totally discovered her genitalia....She was always aware of it of course, but her hands are exploring now more than not exploring. Some of this has to do of course with the fact that it's summertime, she's potty training, and so...she's nekkid a lot.

It's to the point though where it is happening ALL the time and I actually feel a little uncomfortable with it. Her exploration is pretty in depth IYKWIM...So, I just started gently stating if she wanted to explore she could do that in her room if she liked. When she asks why, I've replied "well, that's just something we do in private." I'm afraid I'm making too big of a deal of something natural...I'm being very gentle...but there's part of me that is wondering should I just ignore it.

What do you all think and what have you done as your child entered this stage? Oh and dd is 2 1/2 (very verbal and articulate for her age though and understands a lot).

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
lord this is v. atypical behaviour. i mean every child goes thru this. a friend of mine has a dc and almost all her 2 - 3 year olds have their hands on their genitalia when going to sleep.

when they grow older it is normal to actually have one child ask the other child to take their pants down to exchange what their private parts look like.

i would not really draw any attention to it but also make limits. that it is ok in her room, not in front of others, etc. i have had a hard time teaching my 33 month old that u cannot go out naked. i tell her it is not accepted behaviour and mommy will get in trouble for allowing her naked in public. now i dont say that in away that 'mommy will get in trouble' might traumatise her or make her fearful, but that society has rules we have to follow to live in it. i ignore it when she plays with herself at home. and havent said bedroom or anything because i am a single mom and there is no one else to see her. plus when there are people around she knows she has to at least wear underwear so her acess is denied.

some children do it more htan others. what u r doing with ur dd is right. it is also the time to start my vagina is mine and only certain person can touch it. u know teaching her not to allow anyone to touch her.

also u could get a body book and explore with her. she has just realised touch is pleasureful and not giving too much attention is good. if u do she might wonder why is that so attracting mommys attention when (hypothetical example) i get the same pleasure sucking on my pacifier but mommy says nothing. or holding blanket.

hope this puts ur mind at ease.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
From what I've heard and read, this is very typical and very common. I think you are handling it well, just telling her that if she really wants to get into some exploring, perhaps she should do it in her room and not all the time. I think it's fine to set boundaries like that, by letting her know it's okay but not where everyone else can see you. I don't have any idea how long this phase lasts, but I imagine it varies quite a bit from kid to kid. My DS is only 18 mos and he's gotten into a little of this phase, but I'm sure there's more to come!

-lizabird

1 - 4 of 4 Posts