Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>so our 2.5 yr old has been holding her poop.  honestly it is terrible.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>we are doing miralax everyday.  (1/4 capful).  we do everything fiber under the sun (fiber gummies, fiber bars, tons of fruit).  we limit dairy and have replaced it with water and have added juice which she never had. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>we have bought her books about pooping. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>everything broke loose on thanksgiving and she had diahhrea all day but then it cycles back into i think an impaction.  a week+ of holding/no pooping and now we are back to screaming and crying and anal leakage.  during these emergencies, we had pedilax chewables and glycerin suppositiories.  still nothing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>has anyone overcome this problem?  what worked for you?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>ps.  she still uses diapers. </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
317 Posts
<p>Unfortunately, all the fiber finally kicking in and causing diarrhea might be freaking her out and causing her to be more likely to hold it in thus exacerbating the problem.  I saw this happen with my nephew and my SIL was just determined to do it her way (which is her right as the mother but irked me as the nanny because I was dealing with the aftermath more often than her) and he still at three and a half gets really constipated and upset about pooping.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think it's good that you are limiting dairy, is she eating other things that might also be binding her up?  Think over what she eats a lot of (other than all the fiber you are supplying) some things might be binding her up not necessarily because they usually cause that reaction but perhaps because she is sensitive to them? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would recommend NOT pushing major amounts of fiber in big doses all the time.  You saw the results of that over Thanksgiving and it's not pretty.  I would instead stick to small doses of it throughout the day (in as close to the natural form as possible, like apple slices instead of applesauce) and LOTS of water (a lot of people think they are constipated because of lack of fiber but it is really due to lack of good fluids).  I probably wouldn't give her any juice other than perhaps an ounce or so of prune juice like three times a day (but that's just me, I don't give my kids juice we all just drink water). </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Is she perhaps getting performance anxiety?  If you think she is going to poop, is there something that you can do with/to her to distract her that she might be able to poop without really realizing it?  Play with playdough, paint a picture, cook/bake with mommy (it's Christmas time, what about decorating cookies?)  watch a movie, read a book with you, or (and this one is really a last resort in my mind) take a bath? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yeah, gross to put her in knowing and even hoping that she might poop in there especially since you are going to have to clean both her AND the tub (unless you put her in a swimmy diaper) but the warm water might relax her and if you put bubbles in, or those tub crayons, or something else interesting she might just relax enough.  Keep in mind, however, that this could cause long term repercussions like lots of pooping during bathtime, or not wanting to take a bath, etc. But it is up to you to determine if the benefit might outweigh the negative.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>And you could also do something totally different.  These are what I would have tried if my SIL had given me any leeway (she didn't).  You might think my suggestions have no merit, that's okay too, I just hope for both of your sakes that you find something that works.  Good Luck!</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts