Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Mamas,
My question stems from another post I made a few days ago about breaking the TV habit and figuring out what to do with my days.
I feel like I'm getting closer to putting the TV in the collection bin for our local thrift store, lol, but I think I am going to need a schedule for my days, atleast in the beginning.
Now the problem is I am pretty much fundamently against schedules and before I get ahead of myself let me explain that I I realize I don't have to have a schedule, but for this I realy think it would help, even though it goes against my own true nature, this is more about my DD.

So please, tell me about your schedule, step by step what does you day entail and do you follow a schedule and if so do you enjoy it/ think it adds to your days?
I am cross-posting this in parenting...

TSMIA

·
Registered
6,792 Posts
We have a rhythm more than a schedule. I know my youngest tends to poop out around 11:30, and I know he takes a while to warm up when we're out of the house, so it doesn't make sense to try to do a kids' activity that takes less than half an hour, because he'd just be getting into it right as it ended. I know my oldest is very social and likes to be out and about a lot, doing a lot of different things, so I can pack her day and she'll generally be happy.

That means that morning activities that last an hour or two work well for us, followed by a break for lunch and naptime for my son, during which my daughter will usually play quietly in her room. Then we can head out again for the afternoon if we want, or stay home and putter about. Some days we'll do errands in the morning and a playdate in the afternoon; others we'll do a kids' activity in the morning and stay home and play in the back yard after naptime until dinner. It really varies from day to day, but the same general rhythm is there.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
We have a loose schedule, Monday is usually groceries, Tuesday is home day, Wednesday is play date morning, thursday is library day (afternoon), Friday is usually play date, or long walk/park day.

It's more that I know each day we have somewhere to go if the pestering gets too intense. Any day can be walk day, and sometimes, it's a nana and popop visit day.

our day goes like this,

wake up 7:00 ish
get dressed (usually because baby is soggy, and ds1 needs to get into training panties for the day)
breakfast 8:00- 9:00 ish- yes it takes us an hour to make/eat breakfast.
play/read books, momma does laundry(perpetually) till about 11:30
make lunch.
we usually take a while to eat, and honestl watch a video, because it keeps ds1 quiet long enough to eat something.
12:30/1:00 naptime routine starts.
after nap, depending on what time it is, we have a library trip, or go outside. if it's rainy/cold, it's craft time/time to make a mess.

usually our playdates are in the morning. sometimes we go to the farmer's market.

It always surpirses me how quickly the day goes by!

oh, I should add that my ds1 is almost three now, but we've had this schedule for quite a while.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Some toddlers really like to go OUT every morning, too, so that's something you can do. Errands even, or a walk, or playground or swimming or Gymboree-type "classes" or playgroups; whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
493 Posts
DS is 15 mo and we're starting to get into a pattern with our day now that the weather is nice.

Breakfast
Play
Story-time/Grocery store/Library or other errands
Nap
Lunch
Outside (walk around apt complex, park, more errands)
Play
(Trying to figure out another activity here...doesn't care much for drawing at this point...we've tried play-doh - also not interested...but yesterday he watched me make cookie dough which he enjoyed)
Dinner
Bath
Play
Bed

I'd like to find some other classes or things for us to do...but it seems for him, being outside is what he enjoys the most

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
Some toddlers really like to go OUT every morning, too, so that's something you can do.

YES!

My DD has to...neeeeeds to...get out of the house ever morning.

Our day is like this:

Wake up
Nursing session
Go for a walk(I walk, she rides in her stroller or a carrier)
Eat breakfast
Bathe
Leave the house for various activities and/or run errands
Come home
Lunch
Nursing session
Nap
Wake up
Nurse
Snack
Free time until dinner(we do different things)

Our weekly activities are like this:

Monday~Storytime at the library
Tuesday~Storytime at a different library
Wednesday~LLL meeting two weeks out of the month
Thursday~Playgroup
Friday~Different LLL meeting one week a month

Any day that is free of other activities is usually spent at the park or playground or playdates.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm support of schedules. I just let the kids set the schedule, then I enforce it. Toddlers like knowing what happens next and keeping a predictable schedule lets that happen.

My almost 2-year old gets up around 7am and eats breakfast, she's down for a little nap/quiet time at 9:30, lunch is at 11:30, another nap at 12:30, dinner is at 6, bath at 7 and bedtime at 7:30. She usually has a snack after her naptimes. In between naps and meals; we play, go for walks, do projects, run errands, etc. If we go out, I try to do it in the morning since she's about to drop that nap anyway.

My 4-year old's schedule is the same, except for no morning nap/quiet time. I'm noticing that the baby is falling into a similar pattern.

·
Banned
2,262 Posts
No schedule really, but we have an optional routine. We wake up and have breakfast and eventually get ourselves "ready" for the day. If its a school day my son goes to school. We don't care if we are late, though we've only been late twice this school year. Sometimes I get detained at school with PTA responsibilities, but my younger two don't mind at all.

We have lunch sometime between 11 and 1 (because thats when we usually get hungry for lunch) My son gets out of school at 2, and after school he has a snack. Dinner is at 4 or 5. Sometimes we shower before dinner, sometimes after, sometimes we skip the shower. We go to bed at 6 or 7. We sometimes only read 1 story, we sometimes read 3. I don't care if we read more. My kids both have a certain song they like before bed. My daughter usually wakes in the middle of the night now to use the potty.

IDK everything in between is usually fly by the seat of my pants. The night before I will think of a couple activity options for the next say. Sometimes its a trip out of the house - museum, art class, park. Sometimes its something at home - painting, playing in the book in the backyard, etc.

We play, we imagine, we play silly games we make up as we go along. There is a lot of reading as DD is learning to read right now but we don't push it, when she feels like it we do, when she doesnt we dont or I read to her.

What helps for us is just having ideas of things to do, not necessarily having a set certain things we "must" do. I guide them to follow their natural routine, as PP's have mentioned, the predictability is soothing and reassuring for them - however I have no qualms of deviating from our "norm" if that is what my children want and need on that particular day. I think sometimes they just check to see if they "have a say", and when they realize they do they realize I guide their routine because they like that routine not because I am demanding it be that way. They seem to find reassurance in this.

Some days, we are all just having an under the weather day and veg veg veg.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Not much of a routine here.

I'm not one of those mothers that go to play dates....or take my kid to the park. DD is almost 2 and we've been to the park--oh I don't know 7 times? To get us ready, dressed, in the car, etc....just to go to the park or story time at the library makes my head hurt. I feel like a misfit, reading about all the adventures the mothers here do with their kids. I just love "home" and wouldn't leave at all if I didn't have to. We just chill at home. Now that it's nice, there's lots to explore outside.

-7-8am we get up.
-Breakfast for dd (I clean while she eats).
-We clean together--our morning chores. Breakfast/chores done by 9-10am.
-Then we just do "whatever" until lunch time. If it's a work day, I will get ready for work after lunch. If I'm off, we continue doing "whatever" until dinner.
-Bath after dinner, sometimes
(She's refused a bath since....Saturday at this point. And I'm not going to force her).
-"whatever" until night time (usually includes tv).

"Whatever" includes:

-Reading books
-Planting flowers/playing in the dirt
-Sandbox
-Swingset
-Riding her in the wagon
-Walking/running/chasing/spinning outside
-Playdoh--we played for 1 1/2 hours today
-Coloring
-Chasing her around the house, stealing the polka dots off her shirt
-Make believe play with her kitchen center (We have a "pizza and cookie vending machine" in the bedroom as well. A kid's imagination is amazing).
-Blocks

I'm fixing to get some finger paints/glue/glitter/etc soon. She's ready. Not sure if I am

We just have fun. A schedule is not my idea of fun.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post

I'm not one of those mothers that go to play dates....or take my kid to the park. DD is almost 2 and we've been to the park--oh I don't know 7 times? To get us ready, dressed, in the car, etc....just to go to the park or story time at the library makes my head hurt. I feel like a misfit, reading about all the adventures the mothers here do with their kids. I just love "home" and wouldn't leave at all if I didn't have to. We just chill at home. Now that it's nice, there's lots to explore outside.
We just have fun. A schedule is not my idea of fun.
Yeah, that, lol! Omgoodness, I feel like this 100% and I am the OP!
I guess I just wonder if I'm doing a good job when I read about all these activites, "puzzles"(whatever that means, I mean I know what a puzzle is, but my dd would not know what to do with a puzzle, lol), games, playdates, reading(I love reading, but we don't do a ton of it together) it almost makes me feel like a lame-o mom.....
But it's nice to know I'm not alone

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sisteeesmama View Post
Hello Mamas,

Now the problem is I am pretty much fundamently against schedules
can i ask why?

i agree with PP. i just wait for a natural rhythm and then i follow it to keep predictability in their lives. my youngest is just starting to sort out his schedule now and i'm glad for it! i like knowing when naptime and bedtime and all that kind of thing is going to occur just as much as they do!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, that, lol! Omgoodness, I feel like this 100% and I am the OP!
I guess I just wonder if I'm doing a good job when I read about all these activites, "puzzles"(whatever that means, I mean I know what a puzzle is, but my dd would not know what to do with a puzzle, lol), games, playdates, reading(I love reading, but we don't do a ton of it together) it almost makes me feel like a lame-o mom.....
But it's nice to know I'm not alone

I'm sure you're doing a wonderful job

My dd hasn't even seen a puzzle yet
When she's ready, I'll introduce her to them. (Come to think of it....she just might be ready
).

Let your child lead you. My kid loves nothing more than to be chased/tickled ad play hide and seek (behind doors, under blankets). She has a couple of freckles--and it's a game to chase her and "steal" her freckles. She even steals mine and runs off with them.

Sure, this isn't going to turn her into Baby Einstein (well--she is, but you know
)....but we have fun. Just have fun with your kiddo, mama! After all, this won't last for long (thinking of that song by Darius Rucker *sniff*).

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tjjazzy View Post
can i ask why?

i agree with PP. i just wait for a natural rhythm and then i follow it to keep predictability in their lives. my youngest is just starting to sort out his schedule now and i'm glad for it! i like knowing when naptime and bedtime and all that kind of thing is going to occur just as much as they do!

Sure!
I just never thrived in a rigid or even semi-rigid situation. I have never liked routine, scheduling, going to work(lol), appointments that I have to keep, the idea of making plans.......
And I don't really know if that is something my dd would like or not.

I don't ever mind that she falls asleep at different times each night, I can usually predict when it will happen anyway.

But I have been recently wondering if I would like to revisit the idea of a schedule and see if it something I might like in this new situation of being mommy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Myrhe is 18 months old. She has had the same rhythm since she was 3 months old for the most part. She has a kidney disease and is on several meds, so she sleeps a LOT but we fit in as much as we can during her up times. Our day goes something like this:

wake up - we watch the birds outside her window each morning and i talk to her about the weather (oh look it's sunny today! etc.), then she chimes her windchimes for a bit.

breakfast - hit or miss. she isn't a big breakfast either..none of my kids were ... grrrr.

playtime - usually playing in her playhouse, doing puzzles, building with blocks, etc.

lunch

nap - she goes down for a long time ... 3:00 to 7:00 pm and has since 3 months.

dinner

playtime - our new activity is beading pony beads onto pipe cleaners (of course only if we are right there ... she has yet to try to put one in her mouth though) she will do this for an hour and make bracelets and things to hang on anything she can find in the house lol. playing with my other girls in their room, etc.

bath / bed about 9-9:30ish - she sleeps usually 14 hours straight through

we dont to tv at all. we do lots of music and dancing, djembe playing, puzzles, drawing and painting with crayola color wonder (godsend!) tea parties, and she is lately very into doll babies. we go outside and walk in the grass or play with balls when it is nice out. she has always been a bit afraid of going outside as far as playing, so we are trying to break through that.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayBaby2007 View Post

If your DD had huge, screaming tantrums and banged on the door screaming "OUT! OOOOOOOUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!" every morning that you failed to leave the house by 7:15 a.m., you wouldn't love "home" so much. And if she had huge, screaming tantrums whenever you fed her 15 minutes later than she was accustomed to, you would find a schedule much more fun than a non-schedule!

Also many of us don't have a back yard, which it sounds like you have; these things you describe don't say "home" to me, they say "park" because in my part of the country, a yard and outdoor toys are a luxury reserved for the extremely wealthy:

Quote:
-Planting flowers/playing in the dirt
-Sandbox
-Swingset
-Riding her in the wagon
-Walking/running/chasing/spinning outside

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Quote:

Sure!
I just never thrived in a rigid or even semi-rigid situation. I have never liked routine, scheduling, going to work(lol), appointments that I have to keep, the idea of making plans.......
And I don't really know if that is something my dd would like or not.

I don't ever mind that she falls asleep at different times each night, I can usually predict when it will happen anyway.

But I have been recently wondering if I would like to revisit the idea of a schedule and see if it something I might like in this new situation of being mommy!
I think that when there is something that many toddlers really like-- such as a schedule-- it is worthwhile to try it out and see if she is happier that way.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolar2 View Post
If your DD had huge, screaming tantrums and banged on the door screaming "OUT! OOOOOOOUUUUUUTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!" every morning that you failed to leave the house by 7:15 a.m., you wouldn't love "home" so much. And if she had huge, screaming tantrums whenever you fed her 15 minutes later than she was accustomed to, you would find a schedule much more fun than a non-schedule!

Also many of us don't have a back yard, which it sounds like you have; these things you describe don't say "home" to me, they say "park" because in my part of the country, a yard and outdoor toys are a luxury reserved for the extremely wealthy:
Whoa! Breathe, mama

I'm by far extremely wealthy living in luxury, I assure you

Our home is our sanctuary. I love my home and rarely go anywhere. I admire the mothers who do go on outtings...but it's just not for me. Schedules don't work for us either. *shrugs* Was that offensive? I simply stated ideas to the OP so she could get ideas to occupy her time just as everyone else

Cheers.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I.m a SAHM and we have a pretty good routine.

6-7am wake up, nurse DD in bed

7-8- breakfast and a TV show (DVD) she loves

9 ish we have our bath (together) I have a large jacuzzi tub with jets and lots of toys and we get in together

After bath I nurse her and we get dressed and go out if there are any errands to be run, or we go for a walk to the park if the weather is nice.

Back home, we have lunch and I nurse her down for a nap

When she is sleeping I tidy up, make dinner preps, make any calls, do my banking whatever...

Afternoon we play and I do most of my posting, she loves her jolly jumper and swing and a few other things and she is happy to sit with me while I am on the computer and NAK

Dinner, she is eating a lot more solids now, chicken and peaches are her fav

our evenings we watch one of her dvds or play music and sing - she usually conks out about 9pm but has a diaper blow out by midnight - like clockwork, her diaper was so bad the other day I had to sit it outside LOL then I nurse her around midnight and this past week, 4 times she slept until 6:30ish, without waking in the night.

My DH is away right now on a business trip, we are having some problems, when he is home our routine is pretty well the same except he plays with her in the evening and I can go read or watch TV and relax for a bit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.