Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a toddler drinking newborn breastmilk cause diarrhea? How long? How often? The newborn is 2 weeks old and the toddler has had diarrhea for a week (all day and all night). It is really runny, not just loose stools. Any help?

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
How much breastmilk is the toddler drinking, and how many solid foods? It could be "breastfed baby poop" even in an older baby, if the diet is mostly breastmilk right now.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
How old is the newborn? I believe that I have read that colostrum can cause loose stools in older kids because of it's laxative effect.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Older nurslings can have VERY runny stools from "newborn" milk. I've nursed through four pregnancies and it's funny how I forget EVERY time how runny their poop can get after baby is born. Colostrum has a laxative effect, and colostrum doesn't just disappear one day and breastmilk come in all at once...it's a process of increasing milk and decreasing colostrum, so it can be a few weeks before the older nursling's stool goes back to normal. For some it can be a few months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.