Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday dd ate her birthday cake and a lot of blue frosting. We didn't realize until later than it was dyed with licorice which has a laxative effect.<br>
The next day she had a diarreah consistency bright green poo which left a blue stain on her bum.<br>
Since then she's been having 1-2 diarreah poos a day.<br><br>
Normally she poos every 2-3 days and its solid and in the toilet. I think these are coming on her so fast she doesn't have time to tell us.<br><br>
I plan on contacting the company who made the cake to let them know. MIL bought it for her and while I wouldn't have gotten bright blue frosting (it was edged with it) I still didn't think much of her eating it.<br>
Its really ridiculous to put so much dye in the frosting when its meant for a child. It gave both dh and I diarreah too and we avoided most of the blue stuff and have much larger bodies so I can only imagine what its done to her.<br>
Do you think that food from Saturday could still be causing her loose stools?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
I think it could. Especially if it was something that irritated her intestines. Plus, she has to regrow all those healthy bacteria in her system that the cake destroyed. I would try some probiotic powder to help her along.

·
Registered
6,187 Posts
Wow, I can't believe there was enough licorice in icing to have that effect. That's amazing. I'm a *huge* licorice fan, and have only experienced that once - after eating a couple pounds of licorice candy. Obviously, a toddler is smaller than me, but still...<br><br>
Not that I doubt you! I'm just amazed. I wonder if your kiddo is especially sensitive to it. I'd be willing to guess that something else caused the enduring diarhea, though the green color is typical of licorice.<br><br>
I second the probiotics - maybe a chewable acidophilus tablet. Or fennel tea - Yogi Tea makes a nicely flavored fennel blend called Digest-Ease, or something like that.

·
Registered
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking it would need to be a lot of licorice too. The first bm was certainly affected by it due to the color.<br>
I think she might have a stomach bug or something.

·
Registered
197 Posts
According to our naturopathic physician, one can react to a food for up to four days after eating it. Hope she feels better soon!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts