Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry not to be graphic but Ds 18 months has very dry clay like poo's very crumbly. He eats lots of fiber and fruits and veggies. But also drinks lots of milk some days upwards of 48 oz.<br><br>
He was also a preemie and was on Nutramigan formula due to having screaming fits when given regular formula. We Pumped and fed for the first 3 months but he was never able to really nurse.<br><br>
He didnt have any noticable issues switching to milk at 12 months but does have some sensory issues. The poo issues have been new over the last few months. He doesnt strain to go or act constipated his poo is just odd and crumbly about 75% of the time.

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Personally I'd take him off the week or two and see if the poop changes. If he had to have Nutramigen as an infant it most likely was due to milk intolerance, no? And if he's drinking that much milk, which is a lot, he seems to be craving it, which is also a sign of intolerance. So I'd cut it out and see what happens. If nothing, then he just has dry crumbly poops! Though I seem to recall somewhere a link to a website that talks about different poops. Though I'm really tired so maybe I dreamt it.<br>
Kathy

·
Registered
9,053 Posts
There is a studying stools page at <a href="http://www.enzymestuff.com" target="_blank">www.enzymestuff.com</a><br><br>
This is not normal and individual difference, there is something going on. It usually means the stool is taking too long to go thru the intestines and all the water is being taken out. The way to tell would be to feed a "marker food" like carrots or corn and see if it takes longer than 24 hrs to appear in stool. Do you commonly see undigested food? You risk an impaction and encopresis with dry stool.<br><br>
Have you tried a probiotic with him? I would do a baby bifidobacterium one. Usually constipation leads to bacterial problems. I would also help clean him out a little with magnesium until his stool is normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts