Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DD is 17 months old. She is breastfed and eats solids. She's been eating solids for many months now. Our neighbor's son is 6 months old. He is not breastfed and has been eating solids for about 2 months, I think. We witnessed a diaper change yesterday and his poops looked much more like adult poop than my daughter's does. Her poop is still fairly loose and runny, definitely not solid-looking "adult" poops. Is this the difference between breast and formula? Should I be concerned? Before I go running to the pedi I am looking for some advice. Thanks!

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Nothing to run to the ped about- just a variation on normal.

IMO, it's the 6mo on formula who's poops are "abnormal," though there are so many babies on formula that this is unfortunately "a variation of normal" now too.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I definitely wouldn't worry about that difference. If you went to the dr to ask about, you would probably (to be logical) have to express concern that "I don't think she gets sick often enough. The formula-fed kids I know have had a lot more illnesses."

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My DS is 3 and his poop JUST started being more formed in the last 2 months. He weaned at 23 months. I seriously think it has to do with how the colon handles food. Breastfed babies have healthier colons.

There's nothing to be concerned about except the sanity of your poor neighbor who has to deal with that poop...lol... gosh how I mourn the loss of my DD's perfect breastfed poops (she started eating solids at 8 months) sigh. They are still mushy to runny, but they are NASTY...lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.