Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter is a late teether, so many of you would have experienced this at the babe age.<br><br>
When her top two teeth came in, she rubbed two holes into my nipples. not biting, but more of a friction type of thing.<br><br>
The pain has been, at times, unbearable.<br><br>
Now, going on a month, these sores I think will never heal. My daughter gets very upset if she doesn't nurse from both sides for her few feedings a day now. So to not nurse that ide would be very difficult.<br><br>
Did anyone have this, and did they go away? What did you put on them?<br><br>
I have tried Calendula ointment and APNO.<br><br>
I think that if these sores were healed, her latch has adjusted better to the teeth, too.<br><br>
Sorry to be gross, but one is kind of puss-y and I now worry about long-term effects on ths tissue if I have another babe or if my dd is injesting something she shouldn't if it is infected.<br><br>
Kellymom and Dr. Jack Newman himself have left me empty.<br><br>
PLease help!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Have you tried posting this in the Breastfeeding Challenges forum? I think that people there may have more to say to help you.<br><br>
I don't know exactly what to tell you here--I guess if one is pussy my first impulse is to say to soak your nipple it in a very warm saline solution several times a day, then let it air out and preferrably be in the sun, and take some oral natural antibiotic stuff (like echinacea, some garlic, vitamin C, etc.) It won't affect your daughter to nurse off the side if it is infected, the advice for mastitis (which is after all an infection, except on the inside) and you know that sometimes babies are getting a little blood or pus in the milk. (Disgusting as it sounds, it's not going to hurt them.) I also wouldn't worry about the future--I think that it will probably heal up just fine.<br><br>
You might also see if you can do a comfrey tea soak or poultice, or maybe some salve with a lot of comfrey in it--comfrey really helps with tissue healing. Can you express some milk from the least-bad side and put it on your nipples several times a day? I would also watch for any streaks or redness or feeling hot to the touch from that area as a sign of a greater infection.<br><br>
Also, can you position her differently? Like if her teeth are normally at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, lay her at a different angle (like draping her across your body sideways) so her teeth are at 3 and 9.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts