Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I was referred here from another forum on MDC regarding my son. He's 2 yo and has been on Zantac since January. He had reflux as an exclusively bf infant with awful projectile vomit every day. He thrived, though, so I refused meds. Once starting solids, it got better. At about 13-14 mos old, he started throwing up 1x a week, increasing to almost every night by 18 mos old. Our family doc put him on Zantac and referred us to a pediatric gastroenterologist. He's very med-friendly (though as non-invasive as I could wish for - he doens't want to do a scope if the meds work, no need to invade his tiny body). The meds work, but I don't like my little boy on meds every day. How toxic! Also, there's so much conflict about long-term use of Zantac.<br><br>
On a side note (though I believe it's all inner-related), he's had bad eczema that I'm just now getting cleared up (thankfully w/o meds) and has tested negative to all sorts of allergies. He also drools constantly. It never stops, even when he's done teething. He's always been a really heavy drooler; kind of odd for a two year old.<br><br>
My question is this: how do I get him off of the meds? Does anyone know about any options for him to not take the meds and still not suffer? He was prescribed in January, at a lesser weight, and hasn't increased dose despite weight gains, so this is a good sign that he's getting stronger. Still, though, when I pull him back to 1/2 tsp, he throws up. I don't even know where to begin or who to contact about alternative healing for reflux, but I'll do anything. I just want him med free.<br><br>
Please help me if you know of ANYTHING!!

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Well, what I would do is start some good digestive enzymes. This will help mitigate reduced digestion due to the zantac...though zantac is not good at stopping acid long term anyway and you've not increased doses either so he's got acid no doubt. Houston Enzymes are good. If you don't want to shop over the internet Enzymedica have been nice here too. This also might help with allergy issues--when did you last test foods and was it skin or blood testing? Eczema means allergies to me (as it sounds like it did to you too..but you didn't find any if I'm reading right). Given the late onset of reflux and skin issues maybe environmental. Did you test for dust? Pet?<br><br>
I'd do some probiotics too. Culturelle is a proven one. That is to get better gut flora.<br><br>
Does he tend toward constipation? I know now that my son's reflux was likely caused by delayed gastric emptying and constipation--fix that and we finally got him off medications after 3 years.<br>
Zantac bugs me because not only is it ineffective for most with serious reflux it also contains alcohol and peppermint...which relax that muscle and increase reflux. Makes me nuts. But I think kids in pain need medication--it is just zantac is a bad choice and I'm shocked a gastro made it.<br>
Elevating the head of the bed 6 inches can help with night time pain. You can try cranial sacral too.<br>
The drooling indicates to me, though, that your son may have lower muscle tone. Is this possible? Kids with low muscle tone often have trouble with reflux and constipation and related issues. My son was finally cured of his reflux when we discovered he had a metabolic issue and resulting low carnitine. Low tone is a marker for metabolic issues so just in case take a look at this. <a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=734501" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=734501</a> particularly look at the nerves, general, and muscle areas.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You need to look into food allergies for both of you. Especially with the eczema. I'd put money that he's allergic to something and both of you need some serious gut healing.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for your posts! Soooo much helpful info I'm anxious to dive into and try. We did do allergy testing for everything under the sun you can think of (all skin prick) including all foods, etc. Negative for everything. That was this past January during the worst spell of reflux and eczema I've ever seen. I seem to have the skin under control (we've switched our detergent to Charlie's Soap and have found a good moisturizer that helps. He actually tends more towards diarrhea instead of constipation, which has caused many bad, sometimes bloody, diaper rashes.<br><br>
I've tried something new over the last few days. I've given him some yogurt every day, and then last night cut his Zantac from 1 tsp to 3/4 tsp, and he slept through the night with no problems!! I think your suggestions should help us!!<br><br>
Thank you soooo much!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts