Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>When DD 17mo wakes up in the middle of the night, she yells that too, even though I am right next to her.  Or if I try and stay in the room while she is going to sleep with her father.  She will just shriek as though she is in pain and yell "mama mommy" over and over.  If I get up and leave the room, and DP tells her, "Mama bye bye" she goes right to sleep most of the time.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>She has not nursed to sleep as part of her routine for months.  Plus she has her own milk sign that she uses, not "mama." </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I finally got her to nap today after trying for over an hour... I could see she was sleepy, she was asking about sleep, but nothing was working... we read books, I held her, I rocked her, I sang to her, I nursed her once, we laid in bed together and looked at the cracks in the ceiling, we talked about closing our eyes, breathing deeply, and waiting for sleep to come.   I laid quietly on the bed while she played for a while.  Lately she's been asking to be wrapped for naps (she brings the wrap and says, "Ba?") which I am happy to do if she wants, though I like the break of having her nap in bed, but today she was really not into it.  I tried to wrap her and she tried to leap off of my back.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I finally kissed her, told her I thought I was keeping her awake, and got up and walked out of the room.  She hollered for about ten minutes then went to sleep.  She needs that sleep badly but it hurt my heart to hear her yelling, "MAMA MAMA MAMA." </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I see her tiredness cues, but she's not interested in sleeping.  She fights any attempt to get her to sleep.  She was ready for a nap at 11 but it took until 3 to get her down.  It's like if I'm in there it just keeps her awake.  BUT it's not one hundred percent of the time because for a while I thought... maybe I am keeping her awake.  So I started trying to put her down for a nap like that all the time and sometiems she would scream and scream and scream for far longer than I was comfortable with allowing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sorry if this was scattered, but any tips would be totally appreciated.  I totally wanted to nap with her today too....  I really think we need a routine, but I have no idea how to implement it.</p>

·
Registered
420 Posts
<p>I'm not sure I have any tips...it seems you have found some kind of solution, with just leaving her. Since she DOES settle down.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My DD is almost three, and it's happened a few nights now where she has a very hard time falling asleep and then wakes up frequently crying "mommy, mommy," and sometimes she adds "no" to the repertoire. Just repeating it over and over and over and over and over and over. no matter what I say, do, etc. She does this. I'm usually holding her and cuddling her while trying to calm her down, to no avail.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Finally I remembered that I was pretty close to her age (right around three) when I started waking in the night with severe leg cramps. My mom confirmed this. So next time she does this, I'm going to see if a warm bath and rubbing her legs helps. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Doesn't sound like the same situation as yours...but Good luck! Rule out every thing you can, and then do what you can. </p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts