Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think this is the right forum...<br><br>
My DD is 12 months. She's really really active - started sitting fully at 4 months, crawling at 6 and switched fully to walking a little before 9 months. She doesn't stop - EVER!<br><br>
She's always been a night owl - and that was fine. I like to sleep in - and as a SAHM I was fine staying up late and getting up late. Until about a month ago - she would go down between 10 and 11pm and then sleep until 9 or 10 am. She would then take 1 or 2 naps in the afternoon totaling 2 to 3 hours.<br><br>
About a month ago I went back to work 2 afternoons a week and my DH stays home with her then. Since then - everything has been messed up.<br><br>
She has effectively stopped taking naps in the afternoon. But then she desperately wants to sleep at 6 or 7pm and wakes up after half an hour ready to be up until midnight. She will sleep if we go out in the car - and if she does - then she doesn't sleep in the evening at all.<br><br>
It seems like she is only napping for 30 minutes. And then sleeping for 12 or 13 hours at night. That doesn't seem like enough time. But she doesn't want to slow down enough to sleep. We don't believe in CIO.<br><br>
I guess I'm asking a few things. Is this normal? Is that enough sleep? Any ideas on how to get her to nap?

·
Registered
411 Posts
give her some time to adjust to you being at work.<br>
maybe cut her down to one nap a day and put her to bed a little earlier like 8 or 8:30. she will get used to the one nap and slowly will start napping longer and longer. 12-13 hours a night of sleep is plenty sleep.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She was doing well on 1 nap - but now she won't go down for that. On Monday I was home all day with her - I tried 3 times to get her to sleep, and each time I was rewarded with a 20 minutes cuddle and a re-energized baby.<br><br>
She really doesn't like 'cuddles' or being held - so the only way to get her to sleep is to lie next to her on the bed and nurse/bottle of EBM her until she gets really drowsy and then be quiet and still until she's asleep. When she's tired - it takes 5 or so minutes and she's out.<br><br>
If we let her fall asleep at 8 - then she is really up until 12 (or sometimes even later). And nothing we do seems to keep her stay asleep for longer than 30 minutes then. Well - except for one night when she went to sleep at 8:30 and didn't want out of bed until 11:30 the next morning. (But she might have been sick).<br><br>
It's getting really frustrating because DH and I have different goals. He's happy to have her up late - because then he can spend lots of time with her. But I'd like her to nap because it seems weird for a baby not to nap.

·
Registered
215 Posts
DS only ever got 12-13 hours of sleep a day cumulatively at that age. He also had a stage then (and a few months later) where he didn't nap at all no matter what I tried. At 20 mo he now takes one nap a day for 1-2 hours. I think LO's sometimes just change their sleep schedules like that when they are going through a transition period. So, yes, I think that is enough sleep and yes, I think it is very normal.<br><br>
I don't think it is a problem per se that she isn't napping as you are worried, but it sounds like her schedule is off and her current one isn't working well. If she is acting tired, imho she is tired and needs to get rest. You may have to help her find the right schedule and experiment with nap and bedtimes.<br><br>
The thing I was wondering from your post is if your dh is doing something different with her that is causing the change in her afternoon nap? Do you think if she had that nap back that she would revert to her schedule and start sleeping better? In any situation, if your dh is willing to care for her during that time, let him! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She naps for 20 minutes as I drive her to DH's work - he then busses home with her. (This is the best way for me to get my hours without having to work really late).<br><br>
She went from nursing to sleep for every nap with me - to having to deal with him putting her to sleep. He has bottles of EBM to give her. But it seems that instead of adapting - she's decided to 'screw this' and has chosen not to nap. For the first couple weeks - she was still napping well for me. But now - she won't nap for me.<br><br>
So yes, DH is doing something different - based soley on the fact that he doesn't have lactating breasts. But that's not something we can change. He's tried replicating what I do - and doing stuff completely different.<br><br>
But I feel better. I posted on a normal board and was told that she should still be taking 2 naps every day and advised to let her CIO....<br><br>
It's nice to know that 12 or so hours is 'normal'.<br><br>
We'll see what we can do to get her on a better-for-her routine.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Has he tried babywearing her to sleep? Often, the only way my DH could get my DD to nap was to put her in an Ergo, mei tai, etc. and go on a looong walk.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts