Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all you Mama's with toddler sleep issues!

1)What are you having problems with?
Is your DC snacking all night, unable to go back to sleep in the middle of the night or having trouble getting to sleep?
2)Any solutions/ideas that you've come up with to deal with past and present issues that you would like to share?
3)What do love about your toddler's sleep?

1)My DS really hates to go to sleep. He was falling asleep at the dinner table but this is hit or miss now. He had a good bed routine but now that we have DD 2+ hours to get DS to sleep is just too much. He often starts crying at dinner because he can feel himself start to get sleepy. I can see an end sometime in future, when sleep is something to embrace and enjoy. However, right now he is really fighting it.
2)We are taking DS for a car ride to get him to sleep. I keep encouraging him that it's ok to be sleepy and go to sleep and the fun thing we will do the next day.
3)He sleeps at night really well. Probably because we weened when I was PG. He is a great snuggler. I am addicited to morning snuggles.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I think this is a good thread. DS is 14 months. We've been doing a bedtime routine for probably 8 months, but it doesn't seem to work anymore.

1. He keeps going to sleep later and later, for bedtime and his nap. Our routine has not changed, but he wants to stay up and play. We still give him a bottle before nap and bedtime, but he seems to have trouble getting comfy, he never falls asleep "nursing" anymore and I wish he would!

2. He used to wake up super early--4:45 one day! But I've darkened our room a lot with towels over the windows, and we sleep with the fan on for white noise (we cosleep for most of the night) and he has been sleeping in later.

3. What I love-- now when he stays awake late, like 10, he will also sleep in late. This is pretty nice! Used to be it seemed the later he stayed up the ealier he'd wake up.

looking forward to hearing from other moms!

·
Registered
51 Posts
My DD1 is 26ms and seems to be staying up later and later over the past 3 weeks. When I was Preg with DD2 (now 5 ms) we started NCSS with great success. We had a good routine. I can't figure out what is happening. It is not teeth...it may be the hot weather, athough we had a couple of cool nights that didn't seem to help. It is hard juggling both of them.

She is so cranky from lack of sleep...it is hard to enjoy her. I have decided that tonight if she isn't asleep by 8:30 I am going to get my PJ's on and "pretend" to go to bed (hopefully I don't fall asleep so I can get some ME time).

Any suggestions?

Theresa

·
Registered
14 Posts

She's getting bigger and wants the WHOLE bed!
I'm getting elbowed alot lately.

2)Any solutions/ideas that you've come up with to deal with past and present issues that you would like to share?

Hmm...was thinking of getting a twin and pushing it next to the bed. Eventually it will be hers anyway, then this way she could get cozy on it next to us, as she gradually goes to her room. Someday!

She is a great sleeper! She has her own routine. She likes to have a small snack. A story. And she's ready to settle in. She may wake up once in the night for a drink and a dipe change.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtHomeMom
My DD1 is 26ms and seems to be staying up later and later over the past 3 weeks. When I was Preg with DD2 (now 5 ms) we started NCSS with great success. We had a good routine. I can't figure out what is happening. It is not teeth...it may be the hot weather, athough we had a couple of cool nights that didn't seem to help. It is hard juggling both of them.

She is so cranky from lack of sleep...it is hard to enjoy her. I have decided that tonight if she isn't asleep by 8:30 I am going to get my PJ's on and "pretend" to go to bed (hopefully I don't fall asleep so I can get some ME time).

Any suggestions?

Theresa
Could it possibly be something she is eating before bedtime, or a couple of hours before? I found out that these granola bars I used to let dd have made her stay up a bit longer.

Are there any significant changes going on in the home, or family that could your little one is picking up on, causing the insomnia?

Sometimes just a few nights of being off can cause a week of my dd being off a bit getting to sleep.

Do you do a bath before bedtime? Sometimes a bath can wake you up instead of help relax.

I know a friend of mine tried a homeopathic called Calms Forte' by Hyland for her son's sleep problems.

Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
1)What don't we have trouble with? Hates to go to sleep, wakes in the night, doesn't really sleep in. Getting her to sleep is the worst part. Hours and hours of my life sucked up with this task.

2)No solutions/ideas. Looking for commiseration.

3)I love nothing about her sleep. But I do love her!

I don't get it. The past few nights she's gone down easily. And then wakes about 45 minutes later and won't. go. back. to sleep. Despite exhaustion. 11pm the other night. Lots of crying, nursing, farting around, nursing.... Argh!

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
Getting him to sleep in the first place and the fact that he is still waking up for a bottle 2-3 times a night (he is 16mo). But mostly getting him to sleep in the first place. He will get so tired and just won't want to calm down. There's no option to just bring him to bed with us and lie down; that will make him scream and wiggle away and go back to running around the house doing what he feels like.

Once he settles down with a bottle, he'll usually go to sleep. The trick is getting him to take it, because he knows that means sleepytime and he resists. The best thing I've found is to change his diaper (even if he's dry! he likes having a fresh diaper), and all the while to softly talk to him about how I'm going to get him a nice warm bottle, doesn't he want a nice warm bottle, mmm ....
: Usually by the time he is changed and the bottle is ready, he settles down. The problem is this only works when he's hungry. (Obviously we're not nursing anymore, but I'd guess a "nice warm boobie" discussion would work the same way.
)

Uh, not much except for how cute he is. :p Oh, and the fact that once he's asleep for the night, he knows it's night time, and he only half-wakes up to eat and then goes right back to sleep. Better than being up for hours in the middle of the night, I guess.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by teacup
I don't get it. The past few nights she's gone down easily. And then wakes about 45 minutes later and won't. go. back. to sleep. Despite exhaustion. 11pm the other night. Lots of crying, nursing, farting around, nursing.... Argh!
teacup - you have my total commiseration. this is my DS (13 months)! it takes usually avg. of one hour to get him down at night, though he is obviously tired. he usually wakes within the first hour of going down. (sigh)

1. he knows when he is tired, but likes to fight his sleep. he will nurse very calmly, then start squirming, yank off really hard (YEOWCH!), crawl around the bed like a maniac, start talking and screeching, then rubbing his little eyes........so tired, but fighting that sleep. also the night waking can be bad some nights (hourly) though he's down to an average of 2-4 times a night.

2. we also tried NCSS when he was 10 months old, it was working so well. he slept from 9-5 two nights in a row! woohoo! i don't know what happened. don't really have much else to add to this "solutions" part.

3. aside from the hardships, i really do love co-sleeping. i love his warm little body snuggled into the curve of mine. i love when i wake up and find his hand on my breast and his leg slung over mine as he dozes. i love his little babbling in the morning, when he is telling me very important things about the new day in his most animated way. i love that just this past week, he's started saying "boo" when he wants to nurse - indicating it's nap time or time for night-night. (he's also started saying "nii-nii".) so he knows when he's tired and it's time to go down.......we just need to work on hopefully shortening the "falling and staying asleep" time.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's 10pm and DS is still awake. We went for a drive, lay down in bed and then I said if you want to stay up you have to sit in the high chair. I watched him shake his head so he wouldn't fall asleep. I think he maybe ready now. He is so tired because he didn't go to sleep until after 9:30 last night and woke up at 6:30a. I hope he sleeps in with DH tomorrow. I am very tired because I really would like to go to bed at 8p and DD has been very restless at night. Round 2 of the sleepless nights coming up with her. She is very much like DS when it comes to sleep.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I keep wondering when these little ones will realize that sleep is wonderful and they don't need to fight it off.
DS was up untill 10p again. His sleep schedule is so messed up now.

·
Registered
399 Posts
(sigh) DS only took one nap yesterday, so he went down at 7:30pm quite easily. then he was up at 8:30, 10:00, 11:30, 12:30.........i understand it's pretty "normal" for some kids to just be wakeful. but yes, i think "sleep feels so GOOD, don't they like it?!"

sometimes i do think our co-sleeping can make him wakeful (often when i join him in bed, he will wake up). i know some kids "smell the milk" and when they moved to a crib/other room, it actually helped everyone's sleep. i'm just not ready to take that leap. i do love snuggling - but i'm also afraid of trying to move him to, say, a playpen in our room, and then having to physically get out of bed 2-5 times a night, instead of just rolling him over to the other boob and drifting back to sleep. it's hard to take that step!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, we started a new plan so we can all be sane. DS went back to his old routine of dinner, bath (no bath past 6:30p), book, nite nite. If DS doesn't go to sleep within 30-40 min, he gets to sit in the highchair and read books or throw them on the floor, which he did tonight. He seems ok with this and I just keep checking in about when he is ready to go to bed.

How is everybody else doing?

·
Registered
88 Posts
1) Our Problems? Our sleep issues have felt like such a constant drain for so long now I'm even bored of hearing myself write about it! Our DD is 17 months and has been a very challenged sleeper since she was about 3 months old. She pretty much just wants to nurse all night long. And when I say that I don't mean she wakes up every couple of hours...I mean that from about 10:00-7:00 she wakes up crying every 20-45 minutes and cries to nurse. She has her own futon on the floor near ours and when she wakes up comes into our bed. We started a night-weaning process a couple of months ago. I made her a book all about it which we read for weeks, and then started. She did pretty great with it at first...When she woke and asked to nurse and I said "no nursing until the (timed night-light) comes on" she would wimper lightly and then cuddle in and go to sleep. For the first time since she was born I was getting 3-4 hour stretches of peaceful sleep. I felt like a new woman! THEN we traveled. It all fell apart. She was a wreck at night (seemed really disturbed) and I went back to nursing her. A few days ago we decided to start the night-weaning again and started preparing her for it, talking about it. When she woke up at 11:00 last night and asked to nurse and I said "no nursing until the light comes on, but we can cuddle" she cried and cried....and literally could not go back to sleep..until about 3:00 when I finally gave in out of sheer desperation. She would fall asleep for about 2 minutes then cry for nursing, climb on top of my chest, fall asleep, wake up crying etc...
I don't know what to do! I'm starting to really get worried that something more is wrong that is causing her to have such troubles sleeping peacefully. When she calls out "Mama" in her sleep, crying, she sounds so intensely distressed! She's a totally joyful, active, bright and self-contained little girl all day long. She doesn't seem to be overly anxious, or needy or anything. The nights are just a nightmare! I've tried Calmes Forte for Kids, chamomile in many forms, other sleep herbs...etc... I've tried not nursing her to get her to sleep..(to shift the sleep association..)...it didn't change the middle-of-the-night need to nurse to get back to sleep.
2) Suggestions I have? Hm...Doesn't seem like anything I've tried has worked. Except for it did seem the nightweaning book I made her (with photos of herself and a story-line about no more nursing at night etc..) really seemed to help the first time.
3) Things I love about my toddlers sleep: Well, I love my toddler intensely. I love her sweet body curled up close to mine in the rare times when we actually are sleeping. She 's a good napper and usually if I time it right getting her to sleep the first time is not such an issue. She will sleep solidly from 7:30-10:00ish most nights...which is nice to have that time with my husband.

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated. I'm really at a loss!
Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
Is your DC snacking all night, unable to go back to sleep in the middle of the night or having trouble getting to sleep?

All of the above, but the not going to sleep until 12:30 - 1 AM is really killing me!
:

Tried a lot of natural sleep remedies, they never worked twice or only partially worked. I did Pantley's Pull-Off for the night nursing, but he was no Colton!
He would still want to nurse when he woke up 1-2 hours later to go to sleep.

HA! Nothing so far. He hasn't given me a good 4-5 hours wihtout waking in at least 4-5 months!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
jmamasun - I am sorry you are having such a hard time. It sounds rough either way. I think she'll be ok. I wish I had suggestions for nightweaning or your particular sleep problem. I do think that 17 months seems early but then DS self-weaned/PG supply drop at about 20 months. He also didn't wake quite so frequently.

Rox5266 - Wow, I though DS late bedtime was late. He is falling asleep around 8-9p

DS hasn't had good sleep for about 4 night now. He is really sleepy. Poor guy. He really needs to go to sleep early. He fell asleep at dinner the other night and then woke up at 11p and stayed awake untill 2p.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
DD has been going to sleep at 11 or 12 and taking maybe an hour nap in the day and sometimes not, and waking up at 9. Its exhausting me and am trying to wake her up earlier to shift it a little, yesterday she slept from 11 pm to 9 am and did not take a nap and went to bed at 10.30. Today I was going on a 2 mile hilly hike and she fell asleep in the car so I woke her up (I seldom do that but it was hot in the car and so best we did not stay in the car and wait, it was nice and cool in the forest and by the waterfall though) its now 8.30 so wonder how long she will hold up! So main issues are not sleeping enough, erratically, trying to give up nap and waking up to nurse several times at night. Tried to cut out the nap but thats not working except when she does not need one. She nurses at night but try to fill her up before bed to make sure she is not hungry at night, she still wakes up most nights.

2. Ummm nothing! The NCSS helped understand it more but nothing has really changed, she has always woken up several times at night.

3. I like co-sleeping with her and we (DH) did not intend to but its ended up that way thought she offically starts off in her own bed at night. We are trying to get her used to her own bed longer but its a slow process thats for sure!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.