Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not be the right place to post, forgive me.

I got the city's YMCA booklet of upcoming programs and was SHOCKED at the cost - $345 - for Mommy and Me type swim classes. Granted it was for 18 weeks, but only a half hour at a time. That's not including a $50 start up charge, either, and it doesn't include membership - if we wanted to go outside of the lessons, it's 15 bucks per person per day.

That's outrageous, right?

· Registered
925 Posts
Not necessarily. Infant survival swimming is about $75/week and the lessons are 10 minutes each. Lessons can go from 3 to 6 weeks, depending on the age of the child. Crawlers typically learn floating only and walkers usually learn the full swim-float-swim sequence.

ETA: Lesson were every day for 10 minutes.

· Registered
6,484 Posts
It sounds like a lot to me. I taught swimming lessons for 8 years (in Canada) & the lessons were usually around $50-$60 for 9 1/2 hour lessons. That was at a city facility though - not the Y. That is for a group class, not a private lesson.

· Registered
6,849 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
It sounds like a lot to me. I taught swimming lessons for 8 years (in Canada) & the lessons were usually around $50-$60 for 9 1/2 hour lessons. That was at a city facility though - not the Y. That is for a group class, not a private lesson.
This is the going rate in our area.

These are mommy and me type classes, the groups are small, and it is 50$ for 10 1/2 hour lessons.

I think the numbers the OP quotes are outrageous for group lessons.

Around here private lessons are $15 per half hour.

Kathy

· Registered
966 Posts
We just finished a 6 week course. Once a week for an hour. It cost a total of $15! We had both our kids in it so we spent $30. There were 16 children in the class 6weeks to 3 years I think. Each child had to have an adult. The class was geared toward the parents teaching US to teach the children survival techiques like floating on their back, blow air through their nose, etc.

· Registered
9,952 Posts
I've seen stuff that bad. See if there's a University pool near you. Ours offers the same Red Cross style swimming lessons but a lot cheaper than the Y.

Grandparents paid for special swimming camp over the summer and it was $250 week. That included 2 1/2 hour lessons per day plus a whole bunch of other activities.

· Registered
696 Posts
I think that's high, but it really depends on the region you live in. But for comparison, I'm paying $25 for 8 30min classes for preschool at a city pool. She was also in baby swim and that was $175 for 10 or 12 weeks. We have a YMCA also, and it was near $300 once you factored in the membership fee, but facilities use was free for members, and classes were cheaper for the next session. Plus other classes were free, only swim classes had an extra charge.

· Registered
42 Posts
Our Y is over $600 a year for a family membership and then the swimming lessons cost $23 a child every 7 weeks. The price gets insane when you factor in having more than one child.

This year I offered to teach a class at the Y and now my (individual) membership will be free and classes for the kids will be half price. It is worth it for the 1 1/2 hours I'll be working. Maybe look into teaching a class? Or they offer scholarships for those in need, they don't like to turn people away at the YMCA.

· Registered
3,701 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _betsy_ View Post
This may not be the right place to post, forgive me.

I got the city's YMCA booklet of upcoming programs and was SHOCKED at the cost - $345 - for Mommy and Me type swim classes. Granted it was for 18 weeks, but only a half hour at a time. That's not including a $50 start up charge, either, and it doesn't include membership - if we wanted to go outside of the lessons, it's 15 bucks per person per day.

That's outrageous, right?
Our Y is high priced too. And I"ve had MANY bad experiences and have given up on the Y. Also they use "bubbles' on the little ones and I don't think this helps them learn to swim. Just lets them rely on the bubble.

This winter we are going to try another pool that offers Red Cross lessons.

· Registered
1,969 Posts
We are using a private swimming lesson organization and paying $60 per month for one 30-minute lesson per week, with a class of 1-4 kids. So it's about $15 for one 30-minute semi-private lesson. The cost is the same for all ages at the place we go.

· Registered
5,828 Posts
DD's lessons this summer came down to $4/lesson for 35 min. lessons. I'm pretty sure the mommy and me classes were similarly priced.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.