Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DD has been waking up lots at night, I think she may be getting some more teeth in. Do toddlers get fussy during teething? I thought it was just babies getting their firts couple teeth in. What can I do to help make her feel better if she is teething?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Oh boy, yes! Yes yes yes to your question!

My guy is 17 months old and just today got his 16th tooth. Fussy does not describe what this year has been like! (First tooth came through Nov. 1, 2004. 16th Nov. 4, 2005. Yowza) And each tooth is different. The molars have been pretty bad, but the cuspids (which according to the books are in 6 months early, and they were in before the first year molars!) were the WORST. Huge fevers, crying, no sleep, and so on.

So yes, it might be teething.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for writing back! this is my first baby so i had no idea toddlers could get fussy when teething too. that totally helps me understand better. any suggestions on how to comfort her?

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Well, we've used homeopathy. Started with the Hyland's teething tablets and they are almost always great, but I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to homeopathy and like to find the *single* remedy. So I was working on a little homeopathy shelf with the single remedies included in the Hyland's (I just saw the Boiron multiple remedy teething stuff called "Camilia" and it has similar ingredients as Hyland's), so I could best match remedy to symptom "package".

Other than that we use old-fashioned comfort...milk, frozen milk, cold teethers, *distraction*, and so on. Because we never used western medicine pain relievers, we found that a huge teething fit could end like that, and if we'd given motrin or something, the fit would have been done but baby would still have been drugged, for lack of a better, less *ooh she's saying awful things about motrin*, word.
The number of times we saw a teething fit end in the blink of an eye kept our resolve up to use old-fashioned comfort and homeopathy, and we ended up never needing to use motrin etc. WE would have liked to take something, and the end of a teething fit often found me with a microbrew in hand
, but he got through it fine. Whew!

So that's what we did.
(I keep forgetting about those second molars that will come through someday; keep pretending like he's DONE, then I remember and reality smacks me in the face!)

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks! we have some hylands so i will give some of those. i have been giving her lts of ice and that seems to help as well as distract her for a while. thanks for all the suggestions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.