Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1 year old has a viral infection accompanied by wheezing. I am concerned that this will predispose him to wheezing in the future. He is on an albuterol inhaler for now. I am curious about other if anyone has experience using alternative medicine for breathing issues with young children?

·
Premium Member
4,839 Posts
I don't think this will predispose him to asthma later on. HOwever, it does mean that his airways may be more reactive than is typical, so that when he gets a cold or virus, it affects his lungs.

If he is having problems breathing, please seek emergent help. Have you tried the usual - humidifier? steamy shower? trip outside in the cold night air?

ETA - I re-read to see that you have an albuterol inhaler. Opinions here will vary on whether its use will predispose to later wheezing. We do use one, but found that a humidifier cut WAY back on how much we have to use the nebulizer. (like from 5-10 times a week to zero; we've used the neb less than 5 times in the 2 months we've been using the humidifier. And we don't even use the humidifier every night anymore.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
There's plenty of research to suggest that certain respiratory viral infections are associated with asthma and/or wheezing in older children. It seems that most of the studies, however, are centered around infants under one year and are dependent upon the child having an immature immune system.

for example - a pubmed search will bring up a ton of results

I'm not sure that there is anything that has been proven to be effective in reducing the incidence of said asthma or wheezing. I have one ds who is now 9 and suffers the residual effects of RSV when he was only 4 months old. Albuterol is our best friend through the winter months.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I think if you search old threads here the consensus has been there is no natural or alternative option to a rescue inhaler/nebulizer. What you can do is try to work on reducing further incidences. In my experience my son was a virus reactor and did turn out to have generalized asthma as he got older. But that isn't a given and using the albuterol will not make that more likely in my research. Avoiding albuterol/nebulizer when needed can put you in a situation where it can't control things and you end up on oral steroids which you definitely want to avoid. So I'd use the albuterol now and try to work on improving his resistance to viruses for the future (adequate vitamin D levels/supplementation, probiotics, xylitol nasal rinse, handwashing, etc.)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to clarify that I am giving my ds albuterol. I have had some chronic lung issues myself due to tuberculosis. I have found mullein and thyme to support my lung tissues. Does anyone have experience supporting lung problems with herbs, accupuncture, massage??

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Have you tried the Himalayan Salt Inhaler? It's on my wish list. I've read reviews from adults with asthma who say they haven't used their inhaler in months after regular use of the Salt Inhaler.

It helps with regular viruses too, and seems kid-friendly, which is why it's on my list.

·
Premium Member
10,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jessaroo View Post
I want to clarify that I am giving my ds albuterol. I have had some chronic lung issues myself due to tuberculosis. I have found mullein and thyme to support my lung tissues. Does anyone have experience supporting lung problems with herbs, accupuncture, massage??
IME, licorice root tea helps with asthma issues. I, too, used to use thyme. There is also a Native American herbal remedy for lung issues, but you'd need to seek a Medicine Person to find out what it is and how to use it.

Additionally, my ds1 and myself used to be on steroid inhalers for asthma prevention. We have both been off of them, with no problems, since removing dietary allergens. I was still having "attacks" on about a weekly basis, though, until I added adrenal supports: B complex and a glandular. DS1 only has problems if he is exposed to his IgE allergen (but not the IgG mediated ones).
Not me, but a friend used acupuncture as a preventive for asthma for several years. I don't know how often she went but I do know that it resulted in her getting off of her steroid inhaler.

HTH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.