Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2 1/2 year old DS who nurses to sleep for his naps. The entire nap process takes about an hour. We brush teeth, read books, then nurse. I can then set him down on his bed *most* of the time (not always, though!). He still needs naps, because when he doesn't get one you can tell by his disposition the rest of the day!

Now I am due with our second son in February. I know there is going to be no way that I can spend an hour with my DS to get him to nap. And even then I'm sure a crying baby will wake him in an instant.

Do I just resign myself to the fact that he won't nap anymore once the baby is born and try to transition him to an earlier bedtime? If you were in this situation, what did you do??

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I was in this situation, and although dd was not nursed to sleep, what I would do is say "it's nap time" and all of us would cuddle in my bed together, and she would eventually fall asleep! (I took advantage of the fact that she was sleeping, ds was a newborn so he was always sleeping) After about a week or so of doing this, she kinda got that it's nap time, and she would go to sleep right away. She grew out of naps after that, she's 3 1/2 now and rarely naps, but I'm ok with that.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Neither of my children napped w/out nursing. They gave up nursing and the nap at the same time.

I think *probably* this is going to have to be a wait and see situation. You might have a baby that sleeps long enough by themselves for you to have time to put DC down for nap. DC might give up nap before then. Any one of a million scenarios.

Good luck,
Kay

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think it is going to be a "wait-and-see" situation. But I just have a hunch he is going to give up the naps altogether. He has NEVER gone to sleep without a lot of work on our part.
So I don't see how he will fall asleep with a newborn in the house too.

I guess it will probably mean an earlier bedtime!

Thanks for your feedback and sharing your experiences.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.