Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS nurses twice a day now, and that is all he drinks. My supply has been dwindling, which is evident in his low urine output (and smelly!). He seems fine otherwise, but he refuses any other liquid. He will not drink:
from a sippy cup
from a doidy cup
from a glass
from a straw

I offer water, I tried pumped breast milk, I even gave in and offered some juice. He doesn't want anything, and he doesn't understand how to use a cup or straw even though we try hard. He imitates other behaviors, but not here. I'm starting to be concerned as he obviously has a too low input in liquids. What can I do?

·
Registered
505 Posts
I had this with my first son, try a fun/crazy straw, you know the ones that are long and loopy and you see the liquid move all through it. Then get yourself a drink, pretend it's for you.

That's what I did with my toddler, he wanted to drink out of the straw so bady when he saw me doing it.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried foods and showing him the straw... He hates food (he really, really hates food, all kinds), and the straw is just a toy he keeps biting... I'm really at wit's end!

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
What about putting the strawin a glassof liquid and then capping the end with your finger and dripping it into his mouth? That is how we taught DD to use a straw.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't mind bottles, but DS does.... He refuses them. I had some luck with a sippy cup those past days, he bites the nipple and then drinks. The straw thing we are working on, but he doesn't get that he has to suck.
Part of the problem is that he really doesn't want stuff other than breastmilk. He is a late eater and drinker... And super stubborn. He had a phase of lots of eating recently and it has now tapered off, but my supply isn't coming back to where it was. We did SNS feeding the first few weeks (with breastmilk) when he couldn't latch that well, but I think I really want him to use a cup, straw something now as he needs that water!!!

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Well, looking at this from another angle...

What have you tried to increase his bmilk intake (his actual nursing). What are the two times of day he nurses? What does he do when you offer otherwise? Do you co-sleep? Does he nurse before/during/after naps? Because that is very little nursing/bmilk/milk for a 18 month old to be getting. Independent of his other liquid intake, I would be concerned about that (toddlers need a full fat milk until at least two).

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Popsicles?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nia82 View Post
DS nurses twice a day now, and that is all he drinks. My supply has been dwindling, which is evident in his low urine output (and smelly!). He seems fine otherwise, but he refuses any other liquid. He will not drink:
from a sippy cup
from a doidy cup
from a glass
from a straw

I offer water, I tried pumped breast milk, I even gave in and offered some juice. He doesn't want anything, and he doesn't understand how to use a cup or straw even though we try hard. He imitates other behaviors, but not here. I'm starting to be concerned as he obviously has a too low input in liquids. What can I do?

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I had to trick my DD to take in more fluids doing a ritual. We have a morning coffee ritual. I noticed her always trying to drink my hot beverages like coffee, tea, grain coffee. She would not drink anything except for little sips here and there. I would give her water, juice, milk and she would not drink large amounts of anything. She was getting constipated from her lack of fluids. Anyway, I started making us grain coffee in the morning. I would let her watch me make one for mommy and one for Lilly. I would pour it into her straw cup and then we would sit on the couch watch a cartoon and drink coffee together. I make hers with mostly milk. Its warm and she loves it and calls it cuppee.

Anyway, maybe try coming up with some kind of ritual.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
My advice is to keep trying different kinds of cups until you find something that works. And offer often! My DD is almost 13 months and won't take a bottle and was refusing a sippy. I have low supply and sup with the lactaid but really want DD to be less dependant on nursing at this age. I should be able to leave a 1 yr old for more than 2 hours. Anyway, I went through 5 kinds of sippies and finally the munchkin brand with the straw is the winner. She still dosn't drink a lot but will take frequent sips and will drink an inch or two of the water in a day versus a sip or two in a day before...so it is progress. I'm surprised your son won't drink if he is probably thirsty. My dr said to get DD to drink from a cup (if that's what I really wanted) I'd have to nurse less bc she wasn't thirsty...but your son likely is if his urine is dark and smelly. I know how frustrating it is!

Cindy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.