Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, my dd is a great little sleeper. She goes down for naps and bedtime with no problem. She also has never had a problem staying with grandma or my babysitter. Anyway, this last week she has woke up in the middle of the night crying. I alway go check and can't find anything wrong. She never seems to be awake. I rock her a little and put her back to bed. Sometimes she goes right back to sleep and other times she wakes back up in half hour. I'm not sure what is going on. She has done this 3 times now. If she had ever had any issues with sleeping or seperation I might attribute it to that, but she never has. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
i don't have much of answer except to say we're in a similiar situation.<br><br>
the other day ds woke up and was crying so hard he was shaking. he kept yelling for me even when I was there telling him I was there. It was definitely a nightmare and it took him FOREVER to shake it. I asked him what was wrong and he didn't tell me.<br><br>
We have had a few of these.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My dd is just about 3 and has been waking up with nightmares lately. It is usually something that happend during the day that scared her. I walked down a little bank at the back of our yard like 4 steps and picked some flowers for her and she told me to be careful. But that night she woke up twice crying saying she thought I had fallen down the bank. Its hard I hate that she has them.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Sounds like nightmares or night terrors . . night terrors being when they start crying and screaming and possibly trashing around but don't seem awake. My son has these every now and then and I have to go in and comfort him. If it is a night terror it is really hard to comfort him. It's like he doesn't know I am there. I usually take him downstairs and sit with him on the couch and watch a little TV until he is fully awake and then take him back up to bed and snuggle with him. Sometimes he never fully wakes up and just falls back to sleep on the couch and I carry him back up to bed.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sounds like a normal phase for a toddler. I have a couple of mom friends who have toddlers with nightmares. My friend Kelly's ds was terrified of door hinges (from his perspective - what was holding the door hinges up?). From what I've read kids replay their day like a vcr at night so anything that might have scared them during the day may resurface during the night. There is a post already that illustrates this idea (falling down the bank).

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dd is 16 months, could it be she might be teething agian. I was discussing this with an older mother and she thought that might be a possibility. She isn't really having any signs of teething during the day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts