Mothering Forum banner

In general, do you think it's more difficult to be the primary caregiver to:

  • An infant

    Votes: 66 35.3%
  • A toddler

    Votes: 121 64.7%
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, on average, do you think it's more challenging to be the primary caregiver to a newborn/infant or a toddler?
I'm voting for toddler. I think it's more fun, but also more exhausting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,487 Posts
Toddler is the most challenging time, hands down.

I had 4 easy babies, and I loved every minute of it... but once toddlerhood begins, it gets sooo much harder for me. (and yeah, 3-4 yo is even more difficult)

But maybe I'm just a baby person. I love babies.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Soothing a crying baby = nursing
Soothing a crying toddler = ??


I find the preschool age much more emotionally exhausting. When a baby or young toddler is frusterated, it's easy to have sympathy. When your preschooler does stuff just to push your buttons or calls you a "MEAN MOMMY" that is much harder to take!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,337 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ani'smommy View Post
Soothing a crying baby = nursing
Soothing a crying toddler = ??


Soothing the crying toddler = still nursing. But they can unlatch to talk back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,680 Posts
I'm the one infant vote ... but I'm really not a big fan of the baby stage. I find dealing with my more-independent-than-an-infant toddler much easier, dealing with my sleeping-through-the-night toddler much easier, dealing with my able to let me cook dinner or take a shower by myself without screaming toddler much easier, etc. I don't really miss the naps, I don't mind having to run after a toddler and extract him from whatever trouble he's trying to get into, and I find the level of interaction with a toddler so much more rewarding overall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,200 Posts
On average I would say toddlers.

In our house, ds was a very difficult infant. Turns out he has some sensory issues and other things. While he is a challenging toddler now he has words and is in therapy for his sensory stuff. I can reason with him a little, motivate him, etc. Much easier overall. Dd was a pretty easy baby, just turned 1. She is very...dramatic. I see many battles in our future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,389 Posts
im another "infant" vote. i find the infant times to be very tiring, sleep depriving, and full of worries. i love sweet little new baby smell, and tiny hands and feet, and of course i adored each of my kids as infants, but i like the toddler time more. like you, mishu,i prefer the interaction with a toddler. i really like that there is a line of communication, a give and take. i love the early talking, and imitating, and loviness
i love nursing a toddler, too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,190 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boatbaby View Post
Soothing the crying toddler = still nursing. But they can unlatch to talk back

true! I'll never forget, though, when my toddler got FURIOUS at me for offering to nurse! That is a sad, sad day!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,577 Posts
I loved the baby phase. DD was a high needs baby, but her needs were clear and how to handle them seemed obvious. Sure, we woke often, but she generally just wanted to nurse right back to sleep. She didn't nap independently, but she would nap where ever we were as long as she was in my arms or in a sling (and often latched on). She nursed way more often than every 2-3 hours, but nursing was easy, nice, relaxing. I could go anywhere at anytime with her. I was never embarassed by her behaviour. She didn't get into trouble.

Now DD is into EVERYTHING. She has a temper, we're working on not hitting, getting her down for naps is often difficult although she clearly still needs them, her "needs" and her "wants" and her demands are blending and the lines are less clear.

Now, come August I'll have a toddler and a new baby, maybe I'll change my tune


There are many things I adore about the toddler phase. I love hearing DD talk and talk and talk, sing songs, memorize nursery rhymes, make up stories, and so on. She's become such an amazing little person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,526 Posts
Toddler, hands down. Thought I am shocked to hear those words come out of my mouth. I always thought, I am not a baby person- I can't wait for a toddler. Now that I have a 2.5 year old, I miss the simplicity of my baby. Although I am 6 months pregnant and very short on patience.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
I'm an infant vote too. I do not handle sleep deprivation well and am happy to have a toddler that sleeps 10-11 hours at night. I'm also a very active person and sitting down to nurse an infant most of the day drove me nuts. I'm much happier chasing a toddler around. My son is almost 28 months and he talks, plays games, plays by himself, communicates his needs, etc. It's so much easier and fun for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,431 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
I'm the one infant vote ... but I'm really not a big fan of the baby stage. I find dealing with my more-independent-than-an-infant toddler much easier, dealing with my sleeping-through-the-night toddler much easier, dealing with my able to let me cook dinner or take a shower by myself without screaming toddler much easier, etc. I don't really miss the naps, I don't mind having to run after a toddler and extract him from whatever trouble he's trying to get into, and I find the level of interaction with a toddler so much more rewarding overall.

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Erin* View Post
im another "infant" vote. i find the infant times to be very tiring, sleep depriving, and full of worries. i love sweet little new baby smell, and tiny hands and feet, and of course i adored each of my kids as infants, but i like the toddler time more. like you, mishu,i prefer the interaction with a toddler. i really like that there is a line of communication, a give and take. i love the early talking, and imitating, and loviness
i love nursing a toddler, too.
I voted infant for the reasons above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
I voted infant, primarily b/c we had such difficulties with DS' sleep and I already suffer from insomnia. So, I was going MONTHS with less than 2 hours sleep a day. I was depressed, sick all the time, weepy all the time, never went out b/c DS would only sleep ON me for all naps and for the first part of night time.

Uggg...I shudder when I think of that time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,244 Posts
I voted infant. Seriously. Once dd was 14 months and could walk and talk life was breezy. But before that...I don't even really remember because it was so bad I blocked it out.

Every night I pray:

Dear Lord, PLEASE let me push out a walking talking toddler next time.

Amen.

 
1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top