Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For lack of a better term.

I'm talking about the one that goes in front of your toilet that catches stray pee I guess?
Anyways, I want to make one. The front of our toilet gets gross (well the floor does). I was thinking of using the bib pattern from Mason Dixon to do it. Obviously it would need to be bigger.
Has anyone made one? What are the numbers I need for everything?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would imagine you could draft your own pattern once you know your gauge. Then, go measure a bib in the size you want, and do the arithmetic
I would imagine EITHER casting on the "bottom" first, knitting if for as long as you like, then knit across enough for one "arm", cast off for in front of the bowl, and then knit across what's left. Then you'd knit that farthest arm first until it was the length you liked, then go back and finish knitting the other arm (this is off the top of my head, and might be lacking in finesse).

Otherwise, you could cast on both arms (with two skeins of yarn), knit them both at the same time, then when you're ready to start the bib part, just knit across one, cast on the stitches for the neck, and then add the next arm (at which point you'd only need the one skein - know what I mean?

But then, I haven't looked at the bib pattern in MD, so I'm not sure how they plan the pattern either.

I might consider doing it out of double stranded peaches and cream (there is a circular rug shaped like those braided rag type rugs in a recent Interweave Knits: http://iwpshopinfo.interweave.com/Kn...05projects.htm - last thing at the bottom done with doubled lion brand kitchen cotton, i think). You'd end up with something that's slightly padded, and machine washable.

I would swatch with it doubled and Wash and Dry the swatch! Then you'd know how much shrinkage you'll get.

~amey

Ps. where's the sock KAL? I dropped a dang stitch while knitting with size 0 needles at 9 stitches per inch last night. had to pick it up with 20 gauge wire
:

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
Wow, this is a great idea. OUt in the garage I have two HUGE balls of bernat cotton yarn. It's even in colors that go with my bathroom (yellow and blue rubber duckies).

·
Registered
8,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Patience Dear Amey. I'm going to work up details and get them posted tonight. I figuerd it'll just be an ongoing KAL and this first project will be the socks.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
someone posted asking a question like this not too long ago, if you do a search here on this forum I remember Iposted to it with guidelines for a pattern
I think you could probably search for "bathroom + cotton" or something like that

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I think this might be a neat project to do with that recycled t shirt yarn they demonstrate in Mason Dixon-- and really big needles- if you wanted to purge the old t shirt collection.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts