Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who've been through toilet learning with their multiples, did you do it at the same time or focus on the individuals when they showed an interest? I have 19-month-old twins, one of whom seems like she would be willing/abe to try. I don't think her brother is in the same place, though. Is it easier or more difficult to help them learn separately?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My two are only about three months older than your two but we were in a similar position - girl seemed ready, boy didn't. We have two potties, one in each bathroom, and lots of underwear. We ask her if she needs to go (a lot) and she makes it to the potty about 70% of the time. After she goes he'll often express an interest/need to go and we let him. What that usually means is he comes in the bathroom, takes all his clothes off, takes his diaper off, sits on the potty for about 3.4 seconds and is done. So be it. It's a step in the right direction from when we first got the second potty - he wouldn't even sit on it. There have been times in the past day or two that he's just sit and sit and keeps looking in the bowl kind of puzzled by its emptiness but it seems he hasn't figured out how to get anything in it and we haven't managed to catch him to have a pee land there. Anyhoo, it seems to be working for us to work with our daughter and her interest appears to be sparking his interest - as I'm sure it will with many things in the future! Good luck!

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
As with most things, I've just followed their lead. They both expressed initial interest around 18 months, then it waxed and waned for about a year. I didn't do anything about it, b/c I just couldn't deal with potty training. My dd basically figured it out without me doing anything by around 30 months. (She literally informed me one day that she was ready for underwear.) Ds on the otherhand recently told me he likes how poo feels in his diaper. So he's going to be a while . . .

Especially with b/g twins, I think it's easier to help them when they're ready. Mine haven't been on the same developmental page very often - it's like they're on different roads to the same goal IYKWIM?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts