Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This woman was at a Badgers game in Madison. They told her that she couldnt pump in the first aid station, that she had to use the dirty bathroom. Here is the article:
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/colu...hp?ntid=108041

Got this from my lactation consultant. Thought others might be interested in reading it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I saw this in the paper yesterday, too. And though I am an active lactivist, I didn't like the slant that the author, Susan L-S, gave this opinion piece. This woman traveled from MN to a Badger game in Madison. Who wouldn't have a game plan when leaving home for that amount of time? She could have called ahead to the UW and asked where the pumping rooms are on campus (there are SIX!) or decided to pump in her car (OK, probably a long walk away) or just thought, "heck with it, I'll pump anywhere!" and toss a blanket over her if she chose. Instead, it seems like she insisted on pumping in the first aid station. And the man was right, it's a HIPPA violation for whoever's being treated. They have to abide by HIPPA rules (that means giving a patient privacy). They were unable to accommodate her in that space.

However, his comment on how nursing mothers shouldn't be at games is ridiculous!

Laurel

·
Registered
166 Posts
I saw this in the paper. I understand the HIPAA rules with the first aid station, but they made it sound like the ONLY other possibility was a skanky public restroom. It seens like there should be other possibilities.

As for the last line of the piece "They might even grow up to be Hawkeyes." They should be so lucky!!
:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts