Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this in my tribal area then realized that It should be posted here..ooops....Check out this article that talks about a woman who was told that she couldnt pump at a first aid station at a Badgers game in Madison,WI because it is offensive:

http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/colu...hp?ntid=108041

Got that from my lactation consultant today, after sharing Emily's story with her.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I guess she should have just found a quiet corner in the building with a nearby outlet, or an unoccupied room. After all, she wasn't in need of aid, eh?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Okay, I'm all for the public breastfeeding thing. I think it's something our society should embrace wholeheartedly. A child, nursing from his or her mother is the most natural thing in the world and the world should accept it and admire it and joyfully ignore it.

However...

...pumping is not natural, is not beautiful and is not discrete.

I just can't get behind this one. Sorry.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I'm confused. Why would she have to pump at a game anyway? Was she working or watching? Why not just nurse the baby?

I like the author's suggestion of the couches in the office entry area. They sound comfy.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure just found the situation interesting. I think that she had a sitter watching her son, but I am not clear on the whole thing. Just found out the story so I will have to dig and learn more about the situation. Just wanted to share..

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vellorian View Post
...pumping is not natural, is not beautiful and is not discrete.

I just can't get behind this one. Sorry.

Whoa. Wait a second here. I pumped the first 6 weeks of my daughters life because of severe breast rejection issues. I was able to transition her to the breast - and it (pumping) was THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE. To have someone dismiss my RIGHT to pump milk for my baby as something "not beautiful" I take great offense at. It was a beautiful thing I did for my daughter - and even though it was hard, hard, hard, is was ONLY NATURAL that I would go that extra mile for her.

I had to pump every 2 hours. I brought my pump with me everywhere. I had a car charger, and i would pump in the car. I pumped at David's Bridal (THANK YOU David's Bridal!) because i had to attend my best friend's dress fitting. I pumped at the doctors office, I pumped in the dressing room of a children's clothing store. Now, I didn't get out that much in those first weeks (that list is about it!), but to expect a mother to not express milk for her baby because its not beautiful, natural or discreet is absurd and personally offensive to me.

If you support the right of a baby to have its mothers milk - you need to support the right for mothers to be able to express that milk.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Huh. If I were away from my child for any length of time, I'd have to pump, or I'd be back in the hospital with mastitis. I'd be uncomfortable doing it in public, but we have no idea what the situation was here. She was at a first aid station-- a health facility. Maybe it was a health issue. How can you pathologize ANYTHING about breastfeeding?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
"Beard called the questioning of the policy "ridiculous," and suggested that maybe nursing mothers don't belong at games.

"People have to make personal decisions about how they conduct their lives," he said. "I don't think we have to accommodate it."

wow, i bet this guy is going to have to eat his words.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by WendyC View Post
Whoa. Wait a second here. I pumped the first 6 weeks of my daughters life because of severe breast rejection issues. I was able to transition her to the breast - and it (pumping) was THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE IN MY LIFE. To have someone dismiss my RIGHT to pump milk for my baby as something "not beautiful" I take great offense at. It was a beautiful thing I did for my daughter - and even though it was hard, hard, hard, is was ONLY NATURAL that I would go that extra mile for her.

I had to pump every 2 hours. I brought my pump with me everywhere. I had a car charger, and i would pump in the car. I pumped at David's Bridal (THANK YOU David's Bridal!) because i had to attend my best friend's dress fitting. I pumped at the doctors office, I pumped in the dressing room of a children's clothing store. Now, I didn't get out that much in those first weeks (that list is about it!), but to expect a mother to not express milk for her baby because its not beautiful, natural or discreet is absurd and personally offensive to me.

If you support the right of a baby to have its mothers milk - you need to support the right for mothers to be able to express that milk.
Whoa.

First of all, calm down. I didn't say that a woman should not pump. I said it was not natural. I'm sorry. It isn't natural. You weren't born or equipped with a pump by nature. You used a technological, man-made device, didn't you?

That being said, you admitted that you "didn't get out that much in those first weeks". I applaud that you did express and that you did pump. I would never, ever deny that you needed to do that.

I'm sorry that I don't find it "beautiful". I wish that I did. I'm utterly impressed, however, that you stuck to it, that you did it, that you cared for your child. THAT aspect is quite beautiful and loving.

I simply can't get behind the woman in the article taking up a space at a first-aid station at a ball game so she could pump. I would have strongly counselled thinking of another means of providing sustenance for her child. (Up to and including not attending the ball game.)

But, please, don't think that I would ever suggest giving an infant something other than breast milk. Heck, my wife has been known to pump to provide milk for other mothers whose milk supply is low. (Mind you, she doesn't go to ball games to do it....)

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Ah. I guess pumping moms should stay home, hidden away. Some women EXCLUSIVELY pump, are you aware of that? You think maybe they shouldn't leave their houses until their children wean?

I see you're new here. You'll see that MDC is not a place where any discouragement of getting a child breastmilk is likely to be well-received.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Quote:

I simply can't get behind the woman in the article taking up a space at a first-aid station at a ball game so she could pump. I would have strongly counselled thinking of another means of providing sustenance for her child. (Up to and including not attending the ball game.)
I have a friend whose 6 month old is still in ICU. She pumped for 3 months for that baby, and at 5 months the hospital was STILL using her milk. She pumped as often as she could, every 2 hours, for a baby who is fed through a tube. In her case, staying with her baby 24-7 is a dream she will never realize.
Not every case is cut and dried Vellorian. I get what you're saying, but I think you need to sit back and expand your perspective a little bit.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Quote:

I pumped for the first 5 weeks of my child's life. I was by his bedside in the NICU 14 hours a day every. single. day. for 37 days. When I wasn't at his bedside I was sleeping at the Ronald McDonald house 4 blocks away, or in the cafeteria eating a meal. I never even slept in my own bed once during that period. At one point my husband wanted to take me up to Wisconsin overnight to stay at our cabin and go to the races. The nurses encouraged me because they could tell I was on the edge of an emotional breakdown and needed a break from the hospital. So how, praytell, should I have provided sustenance for my child? If I didn't pump I would have gotten mastitis and risked losing my milk completely. So I guess I should have sequestered myself in the NICU and risked my own mental health because pumping just isn't natural, huh? Well, let me tell you, neither is tube-feeding a 3-pound baby with an electric pump or breathing for him with a respirator because his little body is too immature and fragile to do it on its own.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Here's the thing. I don't think the refusal to let her pump in the first aid station had to do with the fact that she wanted to pump, at all. If you read it, the objection was to "nursing mothers".

Quote:
Doug Beard, senior associate athletic director, said the difference is that the federal health information privacy rules (HIPAA) went into effect in the meantime.

If UW-Madison was to let nursing mothers into the first-aid station, Beard said they would invade the privacy of other patients.

"We feel it's totally inappropriate," Beard said. "We're tending to the ill and the sick" in the first-aid stations.
So I think this is something that every nursing mother has reason to be offended by, not just the fact that this particular mother was in a situation of needing to express her breastmilk in a semi-public place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CallMeMommy View Post
I pumped for the first 5 weeks of my child's life. I was by his bedside in the NICU 14 hours a day every. single. day. for 37 days. When I wasn't at his bedside I was sleeping at the Ronald McDonald house 4 blocks away, or in the cafeteria eating a meal. I never even slept in my own bed once during that period. At one point my husband wanted to take me up to Wisconsin overnight to stay at our cabin and go to the races. The nurses encouraged me because they could tell I was on the edge of an emotional breakdown and needed a break from the hospital. So how, praytell, should I have provided sustenance for my child? If I didn't pump I would have gotten mastitis and risked losing my milk completely. So I guess I should have sequestered myself in the NICU and risked my own mental health because pumping just isn't natural, huh? Well, let me tell you, neither is tube-feeding a 3-pound baby with an electric pump or breathing for him with a respirator because his little body is too immature and fragile to do it on its own.
More power to you! I'm glad and impressed that you did this! Great job, mamma!

Again, I think y'all have misunderstood my take on the whole issue, but I'm really pleased to hear about these wonderful stories of sacrifice and success!

I hope the little one is healthy and hearty now?

·
Registered
607 Posts
Vellorian, so in the same vein women should hide extended breastfeeding until breastfeeding in general is accepted?
: I think a pronged "method of attack" so to speak is perfectly acceptable. I guess I don't believe in "sorry you have to wait for your rights until this happens". Just not *right* IMO.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I saw this in the paper yesterday. And though I am an active lactivist, I don't think the slant that the author, Susan L-S, gave this opinion piece is quite valid. This woman traveled from MN to a Badger game (4 hour drive, one way) in Madison. Who wouldn't have a game plan when leaving home for that amount of time? She could have called ahead to the UW and asked where the pumping rooms are on campus (there are SIX!) or decided to pump in her car or just thought, "heck with it, I'll pump anywhere!" and toss a blanket over her if she chose. Instead, she insisted on pumping in the first aid station. And the man was right, it's a HIPPA violation for whoever's being treated. They have to abide by HIPPA rules (that means giving a patient privacy). They were unable to accommodate her in that space.

However, his comment on how maybe nursing mothers shouldn't be at games is ridiculous!

Laurel

·
Registered
565 Posts
Well - I can hand express just as effectively as pump. Thats much more "natural" - no icky suction sounds and plastic pokey parts.

Getting your child the milk is the essence of the thing. The bonding, the touch, the gentleness and naturalness of your child at your breast is icing on the cake. Its the milk that cures, that creates health, that nourishes. We need milk pumped for babies who can't nurse. The cleft lipped baby, the NICU baby - I would argue that they take priority! They need mother's milk the most!

We should be falling over ourselves to accommodate these women! No one wants to pump out in public, its really awkward! But a dressing room with an electrical outlet - a pumping room in an office tower - a mothers room in a mall - these things are priceless for our children's health and should be advocated just as strongly for as the picturesque portrait you (Vellorian) painted of Madonna and Child, (covered god-forbid!)
:.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Quote:

That's a really heart rending story. Has a great emotional impact.

It doesn't, however, sell this to the American populace.
It doesn't have to. I was responding to YOUR statement:

Quote:

I would have strongly counselled thinking of another means of providing sustenance for her child. (Up to and including not attending the ball game.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I am new here, and I am not an active activist. I am just a SAHM who has breastfed my two children, and plans to bf my coming child.

I enjoy getting out of the house every now and then, and sometimes that means pumping. Now, since I am a SAHM, I don't have the fancy two-at-a-time pumps, just a single electric thing that takes way longer than I prefer, but gets the job done and doesn't cost so much. (that was off subject, sorry!)

I have always retreated to restrooms in order to do this task (I am also very prone to mastitis, so NOT pumping is NOT an option). I do not care for the idea of pumping my milk where people pee, however, since I usually "pump and dump" in such situations, I have reconciled myself to this un-fun part of my "night out".

What other options are there? What do people expect mothers to do? It's not always possible to go to a car. And I think I would personally not just pump in public w/ a blanket over myself.

This culture will not ever accept bfing or pumping. There are too many uneducated (and unwilling to BE educated), stubborn, and selfish people to truly accept it. Now, laws can be made to protect those who do choose to feed their children naturally, but until then...what is a girl to do?

Personally, I choose to do as I please. Without regard to people who are unaffected by my choice. I will make full use of the law to back me up.Where there are no human laws to protect me, I will continue to do as I please, as my child's health and happiness come first.

In this particular case, I do not know of the health codes involved, but it would have been far wiser for the first aid attendants to kindly direct this woman to a suitable alternative. If there is no alternative set aside for pumping women, then an alternative should be made.. on the spot...perhaps someone's office. Instead they are making more trouble for themselves by spurning the bfing community. They will pay for their mistake, no doubt. And perhaps others will learn from it.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts