Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just bought some tomatillos and have no idea how to cook them or what to make with them. Why did I buy them, then? Well, lets just say that going shopping with my 2 1/2 yr old is, er challenging. But hopfully now she knows not to try to juggle tomatillos! Although next time it will probavly be the $$$ avocados. *groan*<br><br>
So - how do I cook these puppies?

·
Registered
896 Posts
I like to simmer them with cilantro, garlic and jalapeno peppers to make a sauce thats great with fish or chicken. You can also add in a little sour cream to the sauce.<br><br>
Use it in place of tomatoes for a salsa verde.<br><br>
They're also good raw--they have a really fresh taste.<br><br>
I like to chop them up and throw them in veggie soups too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
<span style="text-decoration:underline;"><b>Pollo Pulquero by rick bayless in Mexican Everyday</b></span><br><br>
1 medium white onion – sliced into ¼ inch rounds<br><br>
Salt<br><br>
4 medium (about 1 lb) red-skinned potatoes sliced ¼ inch thick<br><br>
8 skinless chicken thighs (about 1.5-2 lbs)<br><br>
1 cup loosely packed cilantro leaves<br><br>
1 ¼ lbs (8-12 medium) tomatillos, husked, rinsed and sliced ¼ inch thick<br><br>
¼ cup sliced canned pickled jalapenos (nacho slices)<br><br>
2 Tbl. Jalapeno pickling juice<br><br><br>
Spread onion over the bottom of a slow cooker. Sprinkle with salt. Continue with layers of the potato slices, chicken thighs, cilantro and then tomatillos, sprinkling salt evenly over each layer before moving on to the next. This is the only salt in the dish, so make sure to add enough. Scatter the jalapeno slices over everything, then drizzle on the pickling juice. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours.<br><br>
Carefully transfer a portion of the pollo pulquero onto each dinner plate. If there is a large amount of juice in the cooker, tip or ladle it into a saucepan, set it over high and heat and boil quickly to reduce to a rich consistency. Taste and season with more salt if it needs it, then drizzle over each serving.<br><br>
YUMMY!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts