Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 7.5 week old twins. I have worked very hard to breastfeed, with my boy twin being difficult to latch. I know he is tongue tied (clearly the frenulum restricts mobility and a deep latch). Thankfully, he is gaining incredibly well..both babies weighed in yesterday at just under 12 pounds.

What I am looking for is experience with a surgical tongue tie repair. Of course it kills me to think of him needing surgery, but I understand it's fairly simple, and I do not want to deal with the speech issues (no bashing for this, it's a choice I've been given either way).

So, experiences from mama's please, as I research the options.

Thanks!

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have 7.5 week old twins. I have worked very hard to breastfeed, with my boy twin being difficult to latch. I know he is tongue tied (clearly the frenulum restricts mobility and a deep latch). Thankfully, he is gaining incredibly well..both babies weighed in yesterday at just under 12 pounds.

What I am looking for is experience with a surgical tongue tie repair. Of course it kills me to think of him needing surgery, but I understand it's fairly simple, and I do not want to deal with the speech issues (no bashing for this, it's a choice I've been given either way).

So, experiences from mama's please, as I research the options.

Thanks!
Have any pictures of his tongue? I know it may be incredibly hard, so try and take one during sleep time.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I was gone a couple of days.

I will certainly try to grab a picture. When he cries or yawns is the best bet! He shows the underside well, then.

Thanks!

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
It's hardly even surgery. I had my ds1's lingual frenum done twice, at 8 mo and about 9 mos bc it healed too tight. Nursing finally became painless around 10-11 months and he nursed for 24 mos total, without a single drop of formula ever.

He's 20 yo now and about to have the upper and lower labial frenums completely removed due to gum recession. That will be done with anesthesia, but the lingual was not, as it was just a simple snip with scissors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
(I'm an IBCLC.)

I don't comment here very often, but I'm dealing with 2 clients right now with moderate tongue tie (one posterior).

Both are suffering serious pain in nursing, and though the babies are gaining weight well, the moms are about ready to throw in the towel due to the sheer, omnipresent discomfort.

I've observed the process of clipping quite a few times, and it's really almost nothing at all. It takes less than 2 minutes, and the most annoying thing for the baby seems to be the lifting of the tongue. Babies all went to breast immediately after, nursed right away, nursed much better, and showed no signs of discomfort.

In one case I observed, there were about 3 drops of blood. In the others, there was none at all.

Anecdotally- I have a posterior tongue tie, that my parents did not have released. It gave me serious speech issues that I'm still working on getting rid of (most noticeably at my age highly sibilant s sounds).

I would have preferred it get taken care of when I was a baby, because as an adult it's a much more invasive procedure. I likely wouldn't get it done now.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't seem to get a decent pic...his tongue is nearly forked at the end, due to the tightness.

I'm going to make an appt to have him checked and have it repaired. :thumb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts