Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there have been a few threads about this recently but couldn't find my concerns addressed there...

My DD (2 weeks old) is slightly tongue tied. She latched on right away and has been gaining weight well, but I've been wondering if her breastfeeding is hindered by the tie. She definitely makes clicking noises occasionally while nursing, and seems to lose her latch. Sometimes she'll just give up altogether and go to sleep after only a few mins of nursing, only to wake ravenous 1/2 hr later and repeat the whole thing.

She also seems gassy/burpy often, although I know this is common in newborns. My nipples are still sore, but not excrutiatingly so.

Is it worth getting the frenulum clipped to remedy these problems if they are indeed related to the tongue tie? Would the doc do it even if she's gaining well? Should I just not worry about it since she obviously gets what she needs regardless?
:

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
If it were my kid, I'd have it done. Didn't with my DD because I didn't know it was an option, and we suffered for weeks.

I went along with my SIL to her DD's 1 yr appointment with their midwife, who suggested (at 1 yr!) that maybe the frenulum should be clipped AGAIN because it's still tight.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I had a hard time finding a doc that would tell me that it was affecting my breastfeeding (dd was not gaining well, I was in excruciating pain, and yes there was clicking and she was quite gassy), they were willing to do it, but only under GA. If you can find someone that will snip it in their office (without GA), I would go ahead and do it. Not only will it help with your nipple soreness, but it could affect speech later on if not taken care of.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I decided not to have my son's frenulum clipped because he can move his tongue past his lips. He eats well (around 14 lbs and he's 8 weeks old), and although I had sore nipples in the beginning, lots of lanolin helped with that

Good luck!

·
Registered
11,992 Posts
There are two different types of tongue tie...anterior and posterior. Ds had a posterior tongue tie meaning he could stick it out past his lips but didn't have proper peristalsis. It was painful (for me) and we clipped it. He didn't cry, it didn't bleed, and I have no regrets at all. It is a structural issue. If the babe is truly tongue tied it shouldn't matter if there is adequate weight gain-it can cause speech problems later in life and will not be a painless procedure at age three or four. I don't advocate any interventions at all, but I had no problem with this one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.