Mothering Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
4,390 Posts
This is a dentist's website with information about tongue-tie. It has two slideshows over on the left: Frenulums, and Breastfeeding and Frenulums.

I don't know what I'd do in your situation... I am absolutely loathe to do anything when there's not a current problem.... but on the other hand, I might not know if there was a problem until it had been present for awhile and harder to correct. Kids don't have perfect pronunciation when they first begin to speak. So odd speech wouldn't be attributed to tt, until a certain point, and then the child has already developed a speech pattern and has to work to change that. Plus I have a thing for nice straight teeth and I'd hate for a tt to mess with that!
Like a PP said, in addition to the possibility of speech problems, tongue-tie can impact the placement of the teeth.

My son also had tt. So did his father's brother and nephew, and they needed speech therapy. I clipped his lower one myself when he was less than 2 weeks old. His upper one may impact him too- it starts really low on his top lip and goes between his two front teeth, a little chunk of meat making a space.
So even though I clipped the bottom one to improve his latch (it sure did!!), I don't think there's anything I can do about where the other frenulum is connected on his gums. He still has the cutest little smile in the world.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.